SOT: G8 GT Starts At $29.9K

Pontiac has already found out with the GTO that horsepower alone does not sell cars. I won't mention that Chevy learned this lesson with the Camaro. Not only do they need an excellent all around car but one that offers the options that the potential buyers want ......like manual transmissions and two doors. If they are going to offer a sporty car then they need to walk the walk and not just talk the talk.

Reply to
Michael Johnson

Again, demographics. Let me throw this out, and see if anyone wants to look up actual figures:

80% of new Corvettes come with automatics. 80% of Mustang GTs have automatics.

Perhaps, in their rush to get this car out, Pontiac has eschewed the manual transmission, for now, and gone after the bulk of the possible market.

dwight

dwight

Especially since the manual transmission retails for over $1000 less than the automatic transmission in most models...

Reply to
My Name Is Nobody

Is that the same misguided marketing research that had Ford kill off their stiff suspension, hard performance speed rated tire, manual transaxle only SHO by putting mushy "comfortable" suspension & tires and slushbox only???

Reply to
My Name Is Nobody

Well kinda, but NO. My stock 325 Horsepower 570 Torque Power Stroke Turbo Diesel 6-speed manual transmission is a blast to drive, but it being in a

4-door 10,000 pound crew cab 4X4 F-450 kinda eliminates the whole muscle/performance car angle...
Reply to
My Name Is Nobody

Not a chance. Can you even get a slushbox in the Z06? I'm sure that the

2005~2007 Mustang GT's run more than 50% with manuals...

Reply to
My Name Is Nobody

But how many offer a 400+HP 6-liter V8 for _under_ $30K?

Guys, we need to appreciate these choices we have right now, because who knows what the offerings will be in a few years. And have we forgotten that less than 10 years ago, we would have been doing cartwheels for cars like the G8, Charger/Super Bee/Magnum/300.

Patrick

Reply to
NoOption5L

I found the following website with a wealth of production information for the 2005 Mustang:

Manual transmissions account for 31% of all Mustang sales. The real interesting number is that manuals account for 56% of all V-8 sales. It looks to me that based on Mustang manual transmission sales it would be a smart marketing/sales move for Pontiac to offer a manual transmission sooner than later for the G8. Especially, considering it has a V-8.

Reply to
Michael Johnson

One would think that Pontiac would have learned something from their stillborn GTO. It had 400 hp and still bombed. It even had two doors. Pontiac had better bring more to the table than a V-8 because the competition in the performance sedan segment is unbelievably stiff.

Reply to
Michael Johnson

..... and weighs considerably less than an automatic.

Reply to
Michael Johnson

This is what happens when you pull something out of your butt and wave it around. I am happy to be incorrect, and am impressed.

If 56% of GTs are stick, but only 31% of overall Mustangs, then there are a TON of sixes out there with automatics. I guess that figures.

So, who are all these people driving stick? I'll always remember picking TFrog up at the local Ford dealer after service, and I had to go out on the back lot and get the car myself. The parking boy couldn't drive stick.

As for the Corvette (if

is to be believed), a ballpark 60% are automatics, with the huge chunk of the manuals coming in the Z06 model. dwight

Reply to
dwight

If I include the 8,000 or so GT500s in the calculations the percentage of manuals in V-8 Mustangs increases to over 61%. It makes sense that the less sporty models have more automatics. It also reinforces the notion that people buying high performance cars like manual transmissions when given a choice.

With all the econoboxes running around with manuals I think more people can drive sticks than you think. I know that my son refused to buy a car with an automatic and most of his friends feel the same way. There is still a big demand for manual transmissions in the ricer crowd.

> is to be believed), a ballpark 60% are automatics, with the huge chunk of > the manuals coming in the Z06 model. What I found interesting about the Vette data is that is mirrors the Mustang data in the overall split of automatic to manual cars sold. Especially, if you throw the production numbers of the GT500 in the count.

Reply to
Michael Johnson

Michael Johnson wrote in news:9bqdnRRUvtAWApPanZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

Now don't go and do anything rash...

Got it. Although you could've been a bit more succinct. ;)

Ooh, another Low Blow. But I will say that it appears that your parents did a good job. ;)

Indeed. So you're saying that Chevy rules the category. ;)

Reply to
Joe

Michael Johnson wrote in news:AamdnV9eRYWBdJPanZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

That may be true, but the ricer crowd itself is only a small segment of the whole thing. I would guess that the auto/stick numbers for econoboxes tilt a lot farther towards the auto side.

Seems that there's consistency in the marketplace.

Reply to
Joe

Michael Johnson wrote in news:5ZSdnVOmnY0qVZPanZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

Assuming the car was engineered from the ground up as an automatic, throwing a manual in has got to be an added cost. Michael, I'm surprised that as an engineer you're not seeing this.

I think you guys underestimate the bean counters' influence. These guys are thinking of ways to shave cents off of costs, let alone dollars. I still think that somewhere along the line, GM said 'no' to a manual due to costs. But, of course, it's all conjecture. We'll see what the future holds...

Reply to
Joe

"My Name Is Nobody" wrote in news:78zPi.4462$ai2.1819@trndny05:

Dunno, could be. dwight might know - that's his field...

Reply to
Joe

Michael Johnson wrote in news:5ZSdnVCmnY3eVZPanZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

I'd love to know the _real_ reasons why the GTO flopped with the buying public. However, IMO Patrick makes a great point. I might be in the market next year, and my limit will be around $30k (I think that's a 'magic number' for a lot of potential buyers). All of a sudden, the G8 is a viable option - especially if it offers more performance than a Charger R/T for a lower price.

Reply to
Joe

As long as you can still wipe your own ass then I won't consider you old. ;)

For mass production two seat American made sports cars? Yes.

Reply to
Michael Johnson

I think it is an easy swap and requires less wiring, computer control etc. As long as the physical dimensions of the manual roughly match the automatic it should bolt right in. Besides Pontiac would just spec the manual to Tremec etc. and they will build it accordingly. Too many cars come with manuals and automatics for this to be a difficult and overwhelming task.

I think it is the marketing people dropping the ball here. They offer a performance sedan and then don't cater to the preferences of a substantial portion of the car's target market. It is just bad business choices, once again.

Reply to
Michael Johnson

I would have thought the numbers for the V-8 Mustangs would have been further toward the automatic side too. No doubt they sell more automatic econoboxes but there must be enough manual sales to justify their production.

IMO, this consistency also applies to the G8.

Reply to
Michael Johnson