Tire size upgrade question for stock XJ

I have a stock 2000 Cherokee limited (normal xj body and stock suspension). I didn't want to do a lot of Google searching to figure out my question. Thought i would ask here first, this group has been of very good help to me in the past.

I have a change to get a good deal on some nice used tires: Goodyear Wrangler Tires MT/R Dura Wall Puncture Resistant Technology LT245/75R16. 120/116P load range E

Came off a wrangler.

I currently have 215/75R 16 tires on the jeep. (stock OEM 16" jeep Cherokee limited rims)

Will the 245/75 tires fit without rubbing? or automatic transmission shifting problems on the highway? (over drive and or computer that controls that etc).

any help is appreciated.

thanx

Reply to
bman

I can't give you anything definitive but when we put 235/75's on my sons' XJ the side clearance (rear) was marginal even for cable-type chains and would rub a little in the rocks. Folks with 31's report problems in the front with rubbing in full lock turns and the brake lines are vulnerable. I would take a tape and measure the clearances you have now then measure the differences on the "new" tires. It will be close.

Side note: I've had some problems lately with some tire shops about selling and/or mounting ANYTHING but the stock rubber on a 4WD vehicle. PITA.

Reply to
Will Honea