Sub woofer in a convertable

How much sound do you really lose with the top down? Is it worth the money even trying for more bass?

-- Mike

__o _`\(,_ Cycling is life, (_)/ (_) all the rest, just details.

Reply to
Mike

Well you lose the interior cabin to hold in the sound pressure and coupling effect that you get from the enclosed space, so it will take alot more power to get the same bass with the top down. But we've all heard the Riceboys from 3 blocks away so we know it's possible to get plenty of bass one way or another. Just get better bass drivers and more efficient amps and you'll be fine. :) If you really want more bass and I mean "clean" sounding bass that's what you'll have to do. It depends on how much money you want to put into a good sound system.

Scott W. '66 HCS

Reply to
Scott Williams

I always turn off the radio when I have the top down.

Just seems like some basic courtesy, politeness, and manors to me. I certa> But we've all heard the Riceboys

Reply to
Walt

a few months ago, I saw a baffle board type product on Sounddomain.com that had would mount two tens in the spare tire area. Didn't look like there would be much air space, though.

Wabbitslayer

01 GT vert
Reply to
wabbitslayer

Speaking from experience..... here I am on a wonderful summers day.... groovin' to "my" tunes and working on your buddies car - I have my rythm... I have my mindset and the world, my tools and I are at one........ Someone pulls up outside.... they leave their car, but for some strange reason, their idea of music continues to permeate "my" space.... to the point of inducing mygraines, rattling the toolsin the chest or even setting the hoist asway...... and affecting my 'mood'... If I piss you off, you will be pissed off..... if you piss me off, I will be pissed off..... if we piss each other off, we will be both pissed off - I don't see any winners here.

I see little difference between those coming to the door bearing "Awake" and "Watchtower" and those that would force their idea of music on me. I like what I like and you like what you like.... if you don't force yours upon me, I wont force mine upon you. This novel idea is called "common courtesy"..... it seemed to work very well when we had 'black and white' TV sets...... I have no idea what happened in the interim.

I see no problem with another person groovin' to their beat....... OTOH, they should let me groove to mine.

YMMV Jim Warman. snipped-for-privacy@telusplanet.net

certainly would not

Reply to
Jim Warman

Being a relatively young punk (I'm 25 now), I kinda get the feeling that I might be one of the very few in my generation who still believes in what you just said.

I had an '88 Mustang GT wth probably $2000 worth of stereo equipment installed. It was -loud- and it wasn't all bass. I had 6 amplified mid/treble speakers and 2 12" subs. You could hear me coming from quite a ways away.

But... at stoplights, the stereo went down. If I'd get to an area where lots of families or little kids were out, the stereo went down. I wasn't afraid to play it while I was moving... but then, my taste in music was only inflicted upon others for a very short moment in time. In the parking lot at night where we hung out, I'd turn it up for something to listen to.. and for a nice massaging seat made out of the spoiler.

When the cars drive past my house bumping whatever it is that they like, that's ok with me because it doesn't last long. It's the ass who parks in front of my house and leaves the stereo on that I don't like at all. I've installed stereos on my front street before, but I take the car for a ride when it comes time to test it out. My friends don't seem to understand the notion.

To the OP - I've had a convertible Fox with a subwoofer. It will enhance the sound of the music for sure, but if you're looking for earth-shaking bass in a Fox convertible, be prepared to give up the *entire* trunk. I had one 12" (maybe it was only a 10"... can't remember now) in a truck wedge box, and that took up almost half of the trunk. It does add the bottom end of the sound better, but IMO, in a Fox convertible, you'll need 4 amplified channels in addition to that sub to make anything sound even remotely good. I've not dealt with an SN-95 convertible stereo, so I wouldn't know what kind of fun you'll have there.

Basically, not all is lost if you're looking for full range sound in a convertible. However, if you're trying to shake the windows of your house from the street, you'll have a much harder time than just throwing a hatch box in a GT.

JS

courtesy".....

Reply to
JS

I used one of those $19.95 truck boxes from Wal Mart (the small one with the

6.5 inch woofers and a really massive amp bridged 4 into 2. Sounds decent enough, I built the system to be easily removable should I want to use the trunk space. You need a really powerful amp to get the sounds loud enough to be heard over the wind noise at speed, the same goes for the full range drivers as well. I actually have a total of 12 speakers in the car 8 in the passenger compartment itself, and 4 in the El cheepo truck box, (just barley fits in that narrow space between the rear seat and where the trunk hinges are located.) Be advised however, that your music is for your enjoyment only, be considerate of others around you. Loud booming stereos are just as annoying as the needlessly loud mufflers most that most young people feel the need to install on their cars now days.
Reply to
Ironrod

Don't you just love that spell checker?

Reply to