summer 2004 plans

hey guys im trying to decide on what to do with my mustang. 86 Mustang 4cyl. i got xmas coming up and my bday in feb (turning 18) and i got graduation in june. so im hoping with all the money i get from that i can do a 5.0 swap should i buy the parts new or find a parts car and strip that.

Reply to
John W

You'd be better off buying an original 5.0 car. If you do decide to swap, try to find a wrecked 5.0 with all the parts you need(transmission, rear end, motor, wiring, computer, just about everything) Erik D. '94 white lightning

Reply to
Erik D.

I second this notion. You'll have much more time, money, and work involved in making your 4-pot into a V8 car. Not to say it can't be done, but it costs a lot. If you have to do it, find a wrecked car with everything that you want. You'll have to swap the entire drivetrain (unless you like to blow rear ends) and the suspension will need to come off of the parts car as well as the 4-cylinder springs won't do much to hold up 4 more holes' worth of engine.

JS

Reply to
JS

Reply to
John W

Reply to
John W

John W opined in news:T7w7b.3342$pe.1311@lakeread06:

You're right.. you will learn a lot.

But you will have to change everything that moves. It's really not all that hard, Just takes patience

But it wont really be a sleeper.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Reply to
John W

John W opined in news:UxQ7b.6354$pe.1739@lakeread06:

If you mean rear... I think they'll fit. If you mean front struts, nope.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Reply to
John W

And they're too dim-witted to notice the sound of a V-8 instead of a 4-banger? It's kinda hard to make a sleeper V-8 out of an I-4.

There's about a 1% chance you'll finish the 5.0 conversion.

If you're really certain you're going to attempt it, you should not replace the shocks since the car will be in pieces for what is likely a long time. Replace the shocks after it's running again.

If you're just wishing and not really going to try the conversion, replace your shocks with the right ones for your 2300.

Dana

Reply to
Dana H. Myers