swaping engines

hay guys im looking for some help i have a '86 XJ jeep it had a 4cyl in it and some "jack" desided to put the 2.8 V6 in. I know try not to laugh to much but now that i got it im going to be doing some improvements, first im looking at swaping the enging for a 350. Im looking for some one who has etheir done this before or knows how i want to know if the bell housing will bolt up and what all else i need to buy before i get started i also want to lift it i herd e rumor that s10 blazer leafs for the rear will lift the back end 4.5 inches is this true and if so what should i do about the frount or should i bag the idea of a "home made" and get a store buoght the jeep is going to be my daily driver and also my trail rig so it will mostly be seeing the street untill the weekend at least it is not going to get beat to hell this is my baby im going to take care of this one. all the info you have even if you think its stupid tell anyways i need INFO

Reply to
j_is_for_jeep

Well.....

I think you bought the wrong Jeep.....

As far as I know, the 2.8 or 'a' V6 is the largest engine that will fit in it. The firewall is too close to the radiator for even a straight six so they did come 'stock' with that 2.8 you now have.

I have heard of the 3.2 and/or the 3.8 I think being shoe horned in. I think you should be looking for a hopped up V6.

They changed the design in 87 so a longer engine block fits. Otherwise you have to cut out the firewall....

I can't help you with the springs. The lift kit I have for ours is a set of 2" puck spacers for the front and 2" lift blocks for the rear. Haven't put it in yet...

But just so you know we have seriously screwed up the brains of ATV drivers when they spend all day getting seriously muddy and beat getting to some remote spot in the deep Canadian bush only to find us sitting camped there in our bone stock 88 Cherokee that even had those aluminum running boards.

The just can't believe it and some have even spent time searching for the 'other' way in because there is 'just no way' we can be there. LOL!

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail in '00 88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's Canadian Off Road Trips Photos: N>
Reply to
Mike Romain

Check the Advance Adapters web site.

Payparticular attention to their Jeep Conversion Manual, which used to sell for$10, well worth it. The V8 will fit if you use the front clip from an '87or newer. There is a 3.4 that is a "drop in" replacement for the 2.8,although of course there is no such thing as a real "drop in". AdvanceAdapters had some recommendations for a GM 3.8 V6, although it doesn'tappear that they actually did the conversion themselves. The 2.8 is adurable although underpowered motor, and performance upgrades exist for it.If the XJ is running right now, then it's not broke, so why fix it? Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

The 3.4L long block does indeed drop right in. You'll need to change the fuel pump over to an electric one as the 3.4L has no provision for the mechanical one on the 2.8L. That and you'll need to have the flywheel machined to mate up to the 3.4L. Other than that everything else just bolted right up to it.

Reply to
Bill Kearney

The lift first, usually it is best to buy a complete kit unless you have done several lifts before. There re a lot of little things that come up when you're a rookie.

As far as the engine, the 2.8 and the Chevy V-8 do not have the same bolt pattern for the bellhousing. About the only thing I can offer you is the GM offers a 3.4 crate engine to replace the 2.8.

Chris