SVT's Compass

Here's some interesting news on SVT.

Reply to
NoOption5L

It would be great if SVT became a larger part of the Ford line-up, but if the next generation SVT Mustang is going to be a solid axel they're taking a step backwards and everything that is mentioned here is a load of BS. I hope the "Cobra" that is being shown in NY next month is still in concept form and an IRS is still being considered. To repeat what I've posted on other web based groups; The new Mustang chassis was designed to use an IRS, Ford chose to use a live axel in the GT to remain at a certain price point. I'm willing to pay for performance and if Ford is not willing to step up to the plate with a Mustang that has the power AND the handling I'm looking for I'll spend my performance dollar someplace else. I like the handling and ride difference that the IRS in my current Cobra offers over the '00 GT that it replaced. I don't trust Ford to put money into designing a solid axel that has the performance I want, and I'm not going to purchase a car then spend thousands on performance parts to get what I want. I was originally looking toward purchasing a Roush Stage 3, but the SVT Cobra gave me the performance I wanted for the right price. Ford got my performance dollar because of this and if Ford can't do that again, my next car will be purchased from Roush. Roush can and will produce a better handling solid axel then Ford will be willing to engineer. Most of my performance dollar will go to Roush, and Ford will only see the cost of the GT. Too bad I can't stand the looks of the Corvette, plus I like having back seats, or Ford might not even see a penny of my performance dollar.

Reply to
WraithCobra

I understand your concerns and needs. But you also have to understand the number of drag racers who demand a solid axle. I think Ford's best bet is to offer IRS as an option.

Patrick

1st Anniversary Cobra Hatch

performance and

in-house

interviewed

delays

communication

Martens,

Reply to
NoOption5L

I'd be cool with that, and would pay for it. But SVT products are not drag strip type vehicles, they're not marketed to drag racers. I thought Thai-Tang said he wanted an "M" fighter. If he wants to market SVT to performance buyers, he's not going to do it with a solid axel Mustang. He'll be chasing away customers like me who want a certain level of performance that a factory solid axel Mustang will not be able to provide. I'm in a bind, what performance V8 RWD 2+2 coupes are available to me? Mustang, GTO, BMW? I don't have the cash for any BMW that fit's the bill. The GTO is just... well.... eewwww, so the Mustang is all that's left. The rumors of a new Camaro may add to the list, but we'll have to see what that thing's going to look like. The Charger is ok but is a 4 door, stupid move on Chrysler part. Oh well, my warrantee runs out in August '06 so I'll just have to see what's out there, or will be available between then and summer '07.

Reply to
WraithCobra

i would agree that the ideal would be to offer a solid axle as an option. of course the irs is the more advanced, better overall setup esp for road racing, etc., but personally i think that a large percentage of mustang buyers are potential drag racers. why not be able to make the choice? that is the real reason i bought the most powerful engine option... they could have a disclaimer like "handling may suffer" or something

didnt ford or chrysler have an option back in the sixties called "drag pak" or something like that, where you could get different axle ratios, suspension variations, etc?

in a letter i wrote last year to svt's scarpello lauding the greatness of the 03/04 cobra, i mentioned a solid axle option. in his return letter, he said wasn't feasible under current situation. maybe they can with the new platform.

just my .02

chris '04 comp orange cobra vert

I understand your concerns and needs. But you also have to understand the number of drag racers who demand a solid axle. I think Ford's best bet is to offer IRS as an option.

Patrick

1st Anniversary Cobra Hatch

performance and

in-house

interviewed

delays

communication

Martens,

Reply to
Chris Shea

On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 02:59:55 GMT, "Chris Shea" puked:

I read today the Shelby Cobra 'Stang (550 hp) will have a solid axle.

-- lab~rat >:-) The less you care, the more it doesn't matter.

Reply to
lab~rat

"WraithCobra" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@individual.net:

Huh?!?

That's a tall order, for SVT to produce an M fighter. If they forego IRS because they're worried about cost, they're not really thinking about the M at all.

What's your budget? That'll narrow the field down quite a bit. As for 2+2 2-doors, it seems that they're going the way of leaded gas. Like it or not, DC's got the hottest lineup right now, even with 4 doors.

Hopefully there will be some decent stuff to look forward to. OTOH, you could always look to aftermarket like Roush or Steeda...

Joe