Taking my act on the road...

Funny how these things happen.

Ten years ago, I was the one doing the travelling on business. In sales, I was the one tapped to attend many a convention, which meant doing the 5-day stay in several nice cities around the U.S. (and several not-so-nice ones). Since I changed jobs, my phone is blissfully silent and I rarely have to pack a bag. Now it's my wife's turn.

While most of my road trips were within the U.S. and Canada, she has to jet around the globe - from Argentina to Colombia, to all of the great cities in Europe. She gets to go to Florida in January or Sweden in the summer. At the moment, she's in Seattle, and, at her request, I'm joining her there this weekend.

Sometime late last year, she REALLY asked me to join her in Phoenix later this month. She knows I'd rather sit in my La-Z-Boy and watch Law & Order reruns, but when I "politely declined" (something like, "Hell, no!"), she got that hurt sound in her voice that turns me to Jell-o. She also dangled the option of renting a Mustang convertible and driving up to Sedona, and I jumped at it. Once I agreed to the Phoenix trip, she threw Seattle at me, too. Now... Phoenix at the end of April sounds great (and I've never been to Arizona), but Seattle this weekend?!? Yuck. I've scheduled a couple of extra days off afterward, to get over it.

Now, there are two -and only two- things I'm really counting on in Phoenix. One is that Mustang. Although I know it's probably (definitely) a 6-cylinder model, it'll be my first experience driving the new Mustang. I fear that when I arrive I'll be told that there are no Mustangs available, and I'll be offered an "upgrade" to either a Chrysler PT Cruiser or a pickup truck.

The other thing I'm REALLY looking forward to is having dinner at a Marie Callander restaurant. I've been hooked on their frozen dinners for years, and I think they're the best on the market (although WHY the fixation with broccoli, I'll never understand). I surely do hope that their "live" meals are even better than the microwaved versions. (Or maybe they're one and the same...?)

A Mustang and Marie's. That would be a successful trip.

Here's the other funny thing.

When I was travelling, my wife felt a bit sorry for me. It's no fun being taken away from house and home to work far away, usually including weekends. I made a mistake and offered to take her with me on one trip to New Orleans.

What she saw was that I stayed at great hotels in great cities, eating great meals. She didn't see me working, since she was out exploring New Orleans and the French Quarter, while I was. After that trip, she never felt sorry for me again.

Now that SHE's travelling, it is, of course, a different story. Oh, it's all work work work, and -sure- she gets to stay at nice hotels, waited on hand and foot, but it's SUCH a grind... The only thing to look forward to is getting home, dropping the bags, and getting back to comfy clothes.

Work sucks.

dwight

Reply to
dwight

I'd swap my retirement to hit the bricks on trips like those.

Find out who has Mustangs (Hertz, Avis, etc) and reserve on. Tell 'em you'll take your business elsewhere if they can't provide what you asked for.

The fresh food at Marie Calendar's beats the frozen entrees all to heck... and I generally need to take about half of mine home.

Reply to
Spike

When in Phoenix you could look up CobraJet and see what he looks like in the flesh.

Reply to
Tiger Pilot

I hear that. But the occasional trip is fine - she has to travel somewhat more frequently than I'd like!

Already done. AND I'm following up with a phone call a week before I leave. If I'm disappointed, there'll be hell to pay.

I'm drooling.

dwight

Reply to
dwight

I wouldn't waste the pixels. Besides, I've only got a 2-Gig compact flash card, and I'm not sure he'd fit.

dwight

Reply to
dwight

OHHHHHHHHH Now that is "COLD" brrrrrrr

Dwight, have you contacted any of the Ford dealers around there to see if they just "might" have a GT demo that they'll rent for the weekend? Might be a chance to get into a bigger engine. I believe that all Hertz has is V-6's. Of course, the V-6 in the new models is more "powerful" than the V-8's in the early mustangs.... But you gotta remember these "newbies" weight half again as much as the classics....

John

Reply to
nobody

No, I haven't. But I did look, a couple of years ago, into renting a Corvette for the weekend - perhaps to treat myself to a birthday present. When I found out that it was $250/day or over $500/weekend, I decided that I'd treat myself to something else.

dwight

Reply to
dwight

Dwight wrote: .

Depends on if you're snapping his head or his 'nads.

Nyuk nyuk nyuk.

180 Out
Reply to
one80out

Just so.

You got it.

:()

Reply to
dwight

Might be worth a shot, Dwight. I've got a 2005 GT and have driven the V-6. There "ain't no comparin' when it comes to performance" but the V-6 is a fun car to drive. just don't think it'll keep up with the "big boys" :) BTW, fuel mileage on my GT is about 20.2 around town with some playing involved. the V-6 is nearly identical, so if you do plan to get one, don't let the mileage difference influence you too much.

Reply to
nobody

"dwight" wrote

*snip* Very cool post Dwight. Now your Missus can support you in the manner to which you have become accustomed.

: Now, there are two -and only two- things I'm really counting on in Phoenix. : One is that Mustang. Although I know it's probably (definitely) a

6-cylinder : model, it'll be my first experience driving the new Mustang. I fear that : when I arrive I'll be told that there are no Mustangs available, and I'll be : offered an "upgrade" to either a Chrysler PT Cruiser or a pickup truck.

Call them reserve your ride and use all of your charm to explain that this Mustang is one of the main reasons you are going there and to be SURE that they have one for you or you will be a broken hearted boy. If they don't know how important it is to you, they may not save you one.

: Now that SHE's travelling, it is, of course, a different story. Oh, it's all : work work work, and -sure- she gets to stay at nice hotels, waited on hand : and foot, but it's SUCH a grind... The only thing to look forward to is : getting home, dropping the bags, and getting back to comfy clothes.

Women view things SO much differently than men do. To her, it is probably exactly that, a grind.

: Work sucks. : : dwight : :

Reply to
Kate

Uhhhh... John? A six-cylinder Mustang is a non-starter with me. Not in the picture.

dwight

***
Reply to
dwight

***

I agree with Dwight. I appreciate the V6 Stangs for keeping production of V8 Stangs possible, but I consider V6s as posers. If it doesn't have a V8 it isn't a 'real' Mustang!

Arlie

Reply to
Blue Gator

Aw c'mon Dwight! I'll give ya $1.00 if you will!

Reply to
Kate

Oh, I don't go that far. After all, there was once a certain Princessmobile in my driveway, and that had FOUR less cylinders than I'd like.

Sixes are fine, just not for me. Although I confess that I'm curious to see what the 2006 version of the six can do. As long as it's a convertible and can keep up on the highway, I can "put up with it" for a weekend!

dwight

Reply to
dwight

She finally decided what she wanted to be, and entered nursing school at the age of 39. That was a LONG three years, but it eventually passed. Now she works for "a major pharmaceutical international corporation" and we're doing just fine, thanks. Meanwhile, I'm still poking along at the same company I've been working for since 1979. (That's right, kids - 1979. Before CDs.) But, hey, that's gotta count for something!

I've already "reserved" one, but you know how that goes. And, yes, I plan on calling and talking to a HUMAN at least a week before we leave. Hell, I'm a card-carrying member of the MC-stinkin'-A, baby. I NEED a Mustang. (Okay, my membership has lapsed, but I'm going to renew. Soon. I still carry the card, though.)

That was the point. It was a grind for me, but she thought I was out having fun. Now she knows exactly what a drain it can be, and I can only empathize. When we bought our new place last year, it was HELL for her to leave. It's getting a little easier now, but not by much. The nicest hotel room in the world is still a hotel room.

dwight

Reply to
dwight

By the way, glad to see you're okay. I've been reading something about the weather in Tennessee lately...

I'm tellin' ya, Pennsylvania is the place to be.

:()

Reply to
dwight

at 06 Apr 2006, [ snipped-for-privacy@myhouse.com] wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

As one who'se rented from AVIS/Hertz a lot last year,I can confirm. They both have the new Mustang, coupes and convertibles. But all are V6 auto models. Avis rented out the Mustang Coupe as an intermediate. I had one twice, once in Philly and one for 2 weeks down here in Fla. Put about 1200 miles on that one. This was in May/June last year just after they came out.

If you are a member of Hertz or Avis 'frequent renter' club, you'll have a better shot at getting a Mustang. Yes, Avis will reserve one for you if they have one available. I missed out on one cuz someone beat me to that one by having it reserved.

Even the v6 is not bad with 210HP. It's as fast as like a 94-98 GT. Note the little button on the right of the T handle for the atou tranny. It switches O/D off. Makes for a way more fun right but you'll have to visit the gas station a bit more often.

Caution: Renting/driving one may result in a visit to your friendly Ford dealer. It did in my case. ;-)

Reply to
Paul

All I need is a hole to hide my head in and a good insurance policy and I I'll be ok.

Reply to
Kate

Dwight

Just a long time lurker here in Phoenix. Try to stop by the Pavillions in Scottsdale (right of the 101 at Indian Bend Rd). any Saturday night from 3 until 8pm. There is a free car show (more of a display) at Rock n Roll McDonalds. At any given time there are 300 to 400 vehicles and they constantly change throughout the evening.

Let me know if you can make it and I'll bring the 'stang out.

On April 20th our Mustang club is having a cruise to Nellos Pizza in Tempe.

hank '89 ASC/McLaren '87 ASC/McLaren

85 GT orig owner 27k miles
Reply to
Kutayba Alghanim