TFI for my 86 GT

I'm going to replace my TFI module on my 86 GT

the stalling is getting bad

Should I go with a MotorCraft

or will an Auto Zone TFI be fine???

what's an average cost for a TFI?

Thanks

Reply to
Ed Warrin

You may have another problem. Usually when a TFI goes bad, it's over. There's no more running at all... it just gives up the ghost.

If you're going to swap, I'd get a Motorcraft TFI... but that's just personal preference. Make sure you spread enough of the thermal grease on the back.

JS

Reply to
JS

Ed Warrin opined in news: snipped-for-privacy@113.new-york-

27rh16rt.ny.dial-access.att.net:

Geez! What stalling, why the TFI??

Is your engine "hunting" at idle?

If so, I guarantee it has nothing to do with the TFI.

If you INSIST on replacing it and you have a good salvage yard nearby, get the whole distributor from a HO 5.0 then swap the TFI only replacing the heat sink grease. That way... if it IS ignition related, you'll have a replacement pickup coil right at hand.

BTW, this TFI re-lube should be done every 2 or 3 years.. if you do the motorcraft TFI will probably NEVER fail.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Ed Warrin opined in news: snipped-for-privacy@113.new-york-

27rh16rt.ny.dial-access.att.net:

And BTW, Ive owned more than ten "High return for dollar spent" (high milage

-used) Fords and Ive never seen a motorcraft fail when the grease hasnt dried out... but i've seen several no-name or "wells" die.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Thanks for all the input!!!

should I just pull the old TFI out clean the contacts

and re-lube the surface?

Or should i go for a whole new Distributor?

I've have seen on the net people with the same problem

I'll be running at 40 mph and it just quits tach to zero

then if it leave it in gear it might kick on again

it has never left me stranded on the road sooner or later

it starts.

Can a TFI be intermittent?

Thanks again!!!!

Reply to