TFrog is free!

The Ford dealer had done just about everything I'd asked of them. When they fixed the problem with the blowing fuses in the clutch/ignition lockout switch, my instrument panel came back - along with a CHECK ENGINE light.

Now, TFrog is 11 years old with 171,000 miles, and, frankly, the Check Engine light is not unfamiliar to me. Usually, it means it's time to top off the oil. But they ran the codes and came up with the MAF. After cleaning that thoroughly, they still had a Check Engine light, and they really didn't want to hand back the car with any problems, yet they really didn't have a clue what was setting it off. I insisted on picking up the car Friday night.

Saturday was rained out (thank you, Ivan), but today was absolutely perfect for detailing. High 60's, cloudless sky. Spent a couple of hours going over the interior (Q-Tips, too), shampooing carpet, cleaning coffee stains out of the upholstery (how'd they get there, I wonder?), and going over every piece of plastic inside the car. Tightened up all screws, too. Topped everything off with a light spray of Febreze, and I'm fairly satisfied. No radiator fluid smell inside the car - instead, it now smells like carpet shampoo.

By then, I was fairly tuckered, so I washed and then passed on the polish. Just a generous covering of carnuba. Just took it over to the local shopping center for a couple of night shots:

It's BACK!

dwight

Reply to
dwight

A check engine light from low oil level??? Can I have some of what you're smoking???

Reply to
Jim Warman

She looks good. One thing, I found aftermarket headlight lenses (they were 'foggy' and yellowed) for my Tempo for about $40... sister-in-law had same problem with her Sable. I never realized how much better I'd be able to see until I got them, and the car did look better. You might want to check into these for your Mustang, because it would look even sharper with new ones...

C> The Ford dealer had done just about everything I'd asked of them. When they

Reply to
67RMod

That was one of my first thoughts looking at the second picture. Sweet looking car, time for some new headlight lenses.

Well, except for the CEL...

"What is this Check Engine Light of which you speak?" My instrument panel has the space and indeed the little red engine-shaped lens (along with an orange "Shift" lens), but no bulb or even a socket to put a bulb in. Sigh. Must have been optional, just like my passenger side mirror. :)

(Hey, at least the e-brake warning light has a socket, bulb, and actually works!)

Reply to
Garth Almgren

Well.... congratulations Dwight! It's kinda like getting a whole new car isn't it ...? Well, the operative word there is KINDA

The pics turned out really well. Makes me feel guilty for the little messy monster parked in MY garage.

Kate

Reply to
SVTKate

I'm serious, Jim. The light would come on, I'd top off the oil, and the light would go away. Time after time.

Hey, I don't seek to explain these things, only to report what is.

dwight

Reply to
dwight

Yep. Thanks, guys, but that's already on The List. I think I've been talking about it since 2001, but I'll have them by October 1st.

I used the convertible as my primary last winter, but I'd like to let that sit this year. That means driving TFrog at night...

dwight

Reply to
dwight

(BTW... These are night shots using ambient lighting, no flash. Canon S1 IS, for those interested in such things.)

:()

Reply to
dwight

I had a look at your camera (googled it) and it looks pretty good! I have an Olympus E10, a digital SLR. I have shot so many photos with it that it is probably ready to wear out soon.

I have only ONE complaint about mine, it is only 4X zoom. I even have one of the telephoto lenses for it. and it still isn't enough.

Did you use a tripod when you shot those or is it the image stabilization that makes it work so well in low light?

Kate

| > It's BACK! | | (BTW... These are night shots using ambient lighting, no flash. Canon S1 IS, | for those interested in such things.) | | :() | |

Reply to
SVTKate

Bought the Canon expressly for the 10X optical zoom. It is wonderful. The image stabilization works VERY well, surprisingly so, and is much appreciated by this old, shaky-handed photographer.

In this case, though, I used a tripod and 2-second shutter delay.

You should have seen me the other night, trying to get a shot of a big ol' spider and its web out back of my house. I used a small flashlight to help with the focusing, and a 3-second shutter to get the moonlight glinting off the spiderweb. One of the Canon's biggest weaknesses is focus in low light. I use it on purely manual settings anymore, but still need a little help from a flashlight...

Of course, that's in darkness. In "low light", like in a room with a single

60-watt lightbulb, the IS allows me to take shots with shutter speed as low as 1/6th of a second without a tripod. It's a godsend.

I was looking at the Canon Digital Rebel (6MP), but decided on this S1 after all. If I go digital SLR, I'd look for lenses with built-in image stabilization. You may find some for your Olympus.

dwight

Reply to
dwight

It has happened on my '89 LX. There is a sensor that screws into the side of the oil pan that can trip the "Check Engine" and/or "Low Oil" lights in the speedometer/tach cluster.

Reply to
Michael Johnson, PE

I have a Canon Digital Rebel and was thinking about getting an IS type lense. What's your thoughts on the one you have?

Reply to
Michael Johnson, PE

Reply to
Michael Johnson, PE

(Once you go IS, you never go back.)

:()

Reply to
dwight

Good deal. I am familiar with having The List (aren't we all) for my ride. Yeah, they make a tremendous difference, and the aftermarket lenses were of decent quality (six years now, still fine), and cost much less than the Ford parts, with no material difference in quality, at least from my experience. I guess many hundreds of thousands (if not millions... Ford made a hell of a lot of Tauruses in those years) of cars with the exact same problem lead to a good aftermarket opportunity. Nice car. I've always wanted a nice, clean LX 5.0 myself...

Reply to
67RMod

I confess that I've let TFrog go too long, and The List has grown as well. I'm ordering in the headlights from Mustangs Unlimited, along with (finally) a new plastic grille (the one in front of the windshield - it's been broken for some years, ever since a falling tree limb took it out).

Me, too.

Kidding, kind of... Actually, it's great to have it repaired and back on the roads. Little things, like having my gauges illuminated again, are like an all-new thrill. The interior is now clean as a whistle (however clean whistles are), but still has an odor to it. Time for another go-round with Febreze, I guess. Otherwise, TFrog is in surprisingly good shape.

Mustang folks are lucky to have the aftermarket availability that we do. A neighbor's friend had a Lincoln Mark VIII that also had glaucoma. It was so bad at night, that the neighbor refused to ride with him anymore. As to replacing THOSE headlights, well, he's not nearly as lucky.

dwight

Reply to
dwight

As long as these things do get done, they get done. You obviously take a lot of pride in the car, and I know the very satisfying feeling (recently) of making major strides with your car after having left it languish for a while. Even replacing little things like that cowl grille make you feel better about the car. Sometimes it's those little things that spur us to do big things, in my experience. Just keep going with it.

I know what you mean. It's like having a new car again.

Reply to
67RMod

As long as these things do get done, they get done. You obviously take a lot of pride in the car, and I know the very satisfying feeling (recently) of making major strides with your car after having left it languish for a while. Even replacing little things like that cowl grille make you feel better about the car. Sometimes it's those little things that spur us to do big things, in my experience. Just keep going with it.

I know what you mean. It's like having a new car again.

Without a doubt. We have the world at our fingertips in comparison to many other hobbyists or consumers. And our stuff is made in enough volume that it's usually not too expensive.

LOL glaucoma... that's good. I'll remember that term. My sister-in-law had a Sable that was frightening to drive or ride in at night because of this, (also because she smoked a pack a day) even with the brights on all the time. People didn't notice, they were so dim. She had a couple near-misses, one for which I was present. Then, for her birthday, I found her some lenses, installed them, replaced all other non-functioning bulbs, got a roll of paper towels, and de-grimed every window. She did thank me, "that's a JASON present" but it wasn't until the next day did she really realize how bad it had gotten, coming home from work in the dark. She works at Boys & Girls town. She called me and said, "I was a danger to myself and others!"

Reply to
67RMod

Hah! I think I've seen your sister-in-law. Or, at least, plenty of people like her!

This time of year is when we get the real slanting sunlight in the morning, and again on the commute home. I often see that the car in front of me has an absolutely FILTHY windshield, and I just know that they're about to slam on the brakes when the sun glare hits their car. They're blind.

My own son does this - smokes in the car with the windows up. I'm happy to get on his case to clean the windshield (at least) every once in a while.

Which reminds me... I'm going to clean the glass in my wife's Escape when I get home.

dwight

Reply to
dwight

The Frog looks pretty good for 170,000 miles/nearly 12 years. 12 years... what does that equate to in Frog years?

Don't forget about 50resto.com. They have a catalog full of fixes. Which reminds me, my daughter recently broke my ashtray lid. She shoved a pencil in there and closed the lid. Arghhh! That's the first lid I've ever broken.

When will she get a full resto? Patrick '93 Cobra (Over 90K and climbing fast) '83 LTD

Reply to
Patrick