Thank goodness for RainX and a lesson learned.

Well my wiper motor died today. Thankfully after the deluge had reduced to drizzle and about 4 miles from home.

It died in mid wipe on the return stroke. Once I got home I discovered the motor was still running and if I pulled the arm down it would start working again at least to park the arms. The arms travel seemed to have a notchy feel mid stroke. hmmmmm figured it as gear trouble. Pulled the plastic cover over the gear box and park contact switch and discovered that a sure enough a section of the large nylon gear was stripped away and of course the worm drive gear would just spin merrily away until you pushed the arm onto good teeth.

To make a long story short I'd suggest anyone who has a Fox chassis car ( mine's an '87) should pull that cover and clean and regrease the gears and slip rings on the park switch. Inside mine was a crumbly dust combination of nylon gear material and dried up grease.

I'll pick up a good used one from a friend tomorrow and you can bet you I'll be regreasing that damn gear before installing it!

More rain forecast so I have a fresh coat of RainX on till then! StuK

Reply to
Stuart&Janet

motor was still

park switch.

be regreasing

Reply to
Johnny K

Well I thought about it, but with 3.73's and a 70 mile commute I 'd have to stop half way and fill up! I got the replacement motor today and a new cowl, as mine was severly cracked. Pulled the old motor and gear box apart and discovered the motor shaft was galling in the bushing so I squirted some oil in there on the "new" one and greased the hell out of the gears too. The bottom of the shaft doesn't even have a bushing or bearing, super el cheapo, but the end of the worm gear shaft is held by a proper sealed bearing. StuK

still

gear

'87)

switch.

regreasing

Reply to
Stuart&Janet

stop half way

cracked. Pulled the

bushing so

Reply to
Johnny K

Thanks for the tip!

As for Rain X, that's stuff is the greatest!! I've been using it since '87 and highly recommend.

Patrick '93 Cobra

motor was still

park switch.

be regreasing

Reply to
Patrick

RainX also makes an additive you can add to your wiper fluid and wiper fluid premixed with RainX. I use the additive stuff in my truck & the wife's car, don't have to use the wipers as much & the glass stays much cleaner.

bill

64.5: 260, 3 sp, a/c, SVO cam, Performer, Holley 390, Pertronix, Hi-Po exhaust, 1.5" front & 1" rear drop, Jacobs wires, Torq D's

66: '93 5.0, C4, a/c, ps, Performer RPM, Holley 600, Pertronix, bench seat

Colt SP1,Sig P220, Moss. 590A1, Marlin 70P

Reply to
bill

Thanks for that piece of info Bill I take a look to see if I can find it for mine.

Reply to
Joe Cilinceon