...the bolt connecting the circular to the pinion...

What is the secret to tightening the 12-point bolt that connects the circular to the pinion?

The circular and driveshaft flanges prevent the use of a standard 12-mm

12-point (1/2" drive) socket even when using an extension!

Tanks!

Steve

Reply to
Steve Forrester

Are you referring to the 4 bolts on the U joint flange at the axle ( pinion)? I use a wrench. StuK

Reply to
Stuart&Janet

Yes, the 4 bolts on the...

A 12-point box wrench?

Steve

Reply to
Steve Forrester

That should do it. Erik D. '94 white lightning

Reply to
Erik D.

They do? I haven't encountered such a thing, unless it's year-specific... on my '91 I'm able to use a regular socket (elsewise I'd have no way to get a torque wrench on it, which, being as anal as I am would bother me greatly). If the car is sitting on its rear wheels it's pretty much impossible because of the angle of the driveshaft, maybe that's what you're encountering. My solution has been to set the car down with a pair of jackstands against the frame so that the rear end can hang free. I adjust the height of the stands so that the wheels come in contact with the ground, or some other sort of source of friction (I sometimes use ramps as wheel chocks for this purpose). I then engage the parking brake as well as put the transmission in gear to make sure the driveshaft is locked in place. Doing it this way, the angle of the driveshaft is such that you can then get a wrench onto the bolts, though it usually requires an extension so that the ratchet head doesn't bonk the driveshaft when turning. I'm usually able to only get to one, though sometimes two, bolts at a time before I have to rotate the driveshaft enough to have the other bolts line up. It's a slow process since you have to take the car out of gear, release the parking brake, remove the chocks, then rotate the driveshaft only to re-do what you just undid, but it also allows you to properly torque the bolts, which I think is more important. The driveshaft is the second thing on my list of "things I don't want coming apart while I'm driving at freeway speeds." Number one, of course, is the flywheel.

Reply to
The Hurdy Gurdy Man

Thanks for the excellent advice!

Steve

BTW... I don't think you are any more anal than I am... you should see some of my other posts on both Mustang/Ford and Pontiac/GM groups... you would be proud of me!

Reply to
Steve Forrester

They come in both 12 and hex. You're spoiled with them 6 pointers!

Hurdy Gurdy man actually has the best idea if you want to use a torque wrench. I've been wrenching for a few years and have a pretty good feel for what is "tight". There are somethings I most certainly use a torque wrench on but that would not be one of them. Last time I did my U joint out back I drove the car onto ramps so the full weight of the car was on the rear wheels. This made the bolts easier to crack loose. Then I jacked the car up off its wheels and replaced the ramps with stands so I could rotate the pinion to access the bolts easier. HTH StuK

Reply to
Stuart&Janet