The Story Behind Lightning Cancelation

Per Hemmings:
Lightning Cancelation
- Lightning was originally planned for a mid '06 release as '07 model.
- Development of GR-1 sports car then pushed release date back to '08.
- New [current] F-150 is a due to be "refreshed" in '09. - The "refreshening" would have made the Lightning a one-year model, and supposedly not a smart business move. - The new [current] F-150 weighs 600 pounds more than the previous model. - This curb weight would make it too difficult to build a SRT-10 beater.
Does this story make sense to you guys/girls?
I think the story makes sense, but I suspect this may be only a portion of the story. I wonder if the instability of fuel prices and recent debut of the SRT-10 weren't also factors.
If gas prices were to continue their upward spiral, sales of hot rod trucks would likely go in the toilet.
With the recent debut of the Viper truck, I wonder if maybe Ford was a little worried about a crowded market. Anyone know how well the previous Lightnings sold? Did they always get snapped right up or were their sales always a bit lukewarm?
Patrick '93 Cobra '83 LTD
A crowded market with a not very competitive product killed the SVT Focus I believe. Nice platform but down on horsepower in a market with initially the Neon SRT-4 then the Evo's and Subaru. Ford was proabably correct in ditching it. Your story on the new Lightning wouldn't surprise me. Hard to argue with an 8.3L 500HP non blown engine. Also, the SRT-10 is probably a cheaper truck to manufacture compared to a Lightning with S/C 5.4 SOHC. This weight increase on the F-150 (and some of their other cars) should be embarassing to someone at Ford. A new Lightning would have no doubt come in over the SRT-10's 5,100 lb or so curb weight, probably more to the tune of 5,400 pounds. Wasn't the previous Lightning like 4,800 pounds?
A crowded market with a not very competitive product killed the SVT Focus I believe. Nice platform but down on horsepower in a market with initially the Neon SRT-4 then the Evo's and Subaru. Ford was proabably correct in ditching it. Your story on the new Lightning wouldn't surprise me. Hard to argue with an 8.3L 500HP non blown engine. Also, the SRT-10 is probably a cheaper truck to manufacture compared to a Lightning with S/C 5.4 SOHC. This weight increase on the F-150 (and some of their other cars) should be embarassing to someone at Ford. A new Lightning would have probably come in near the SRT-10's 5,100 lb or so curb weight. Wasn't the previous Lightning like 4,700 pounds?
My son's '01 Lightning comes in closer to 5K lbs. I'm waiting for him to want to trade for my Bank's equipped '01 F250...may take a looong time, eh?
SVT may be shutting down as a niche manufacturer. The Focus didn't go well, but could've/should've, two new engines to pass EPA and the rising gas prices in an iffy market.
bradtx