Will The Lightning Come Thundering Back?

Ford plans to beef up its performance portfolio, Mark Fields, the automaker's President of the Americas , told a New York Auto Show audience on Wednesday. Central to the strategy is a renewed emphasis on the SVT line, which had been neglected in recent years. "The plan is to offer one performance car and one truck, going forward," Fields explained, with the pair likely to generate from 5000 to 10,000 annual sales. A version of the Mustang and another SVT makeover of the F-Series pickup will be the latest offerings. Then there'll be "personalized performance," allowing customers to buy from a broad catalog of performance parts and accessories. The third leg of Ford's performance strategy is the Ford Racing unit.

Personally, I'd rather see the Sport Trac Adrenline concept than the F150 Lightning, but at least Ford is offering another performance model. And it's also good to hear SVT is going to get a "renewed emphasis".

Patrick

Reply to
NoOption5L

Sounds like they're reverting to the previous (1980's) "SVO" program.... I dunno how big the SVT unit was, but apparently a little bloated for income produced.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

I'll believe the latter when I see it. I take that back: I'll believe both when I see them!

I almost agree (I'd like to see both). I think it was a major mistake to cancel the Adrenalin, especially given that the Sport Trac's makeover has -- IMO -- resulted in an utterly bland and forgettable design. The original ST was new and fresh (my wife, not given to impulse buying, traded in her Ranger as soon as she saw a red ST on the lot!), but the new one looks like a soccer mom's Explorer -- gaudy chrome and all. The one real improvement is the addition of the 4.6L V-8.

I just hope it's true, but for a number of reasons, I don't have a lot of faith left in Ford.

-- Jim

2003 Lightning / 2001 Sport Trac
Reply to
Jim J