The Viper Pickup's Fate > Death By Lightning

You have a good point, gotta love the SVT badge. My truck has no SVT emblems or badges anywhere on it, just the lightning stickers. They started putting SVT badges on them in '95. Mine has a lightning sticker where they put the SVT badge in '95. Erik D. '94 white lightning

Reply to
Erik D.

snipped-for-privacy@bellsouth.net (Erik D.) wrote in :

I believe that Ford lists the 0-60 time for the current L at 5.2 seconds --

0.1 faster than the SRT-10 -- which is the same time that Car and Driver got. (In 1999 it was 5.4 seconds, but that was with less HP and torque than they have now.) I'm sure that someone at
(National Lightning Owners' Club) can point you to the specific articles, and give you their own dragstrip times -- for the few who actually race their trucks stock. :)

Also, Guiness recently certified the L's top speed as 147 MPH, which I think is about 3 MPH short of the figure given for the SRT-10.

If I can dig up the articles, I'll post them or their URLs here.

-- Jim

Reply to
Jim J

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Mike) wrote in :

Oh, a "glass-is-half-empty" guy, eh? ;)

OK, so no regular-cab pickup is much good as a family car, that's for sure. But since it's just my wife and myself (and we have the 5-passenger Sport Trac), that wasn't a consideration for me.

-- Jim

Reply to
Jim J

That's ok Jim. I was just wondering, all the comparisons i have seen has the SRT10 faster than the lightning in the 0-60, and 1/4 times though. I might have been thinking of the 99 numbers. I am on nloc all the time too, svterik529 is me over there. Erik D. '94 white lightning

Reply to
Erik D.

Joe wrote

Speaking of comparison tests, how about one that's even on-topic: the latest Hot Rod magazine plopped on my porch yesterday with a cover photo of the Cobra and the STi Subaru side by side, also a comparo track test inside. Their conclusion was that the Stang and the Sube are equals in the drags, with the Sube more likely to win street races with its traction advantage (for those owners willing to do 6000 rpm clutch drops anyway). But on the road course (shortened Streets of Willow) the Sube was far superior and easier to drive.

Ouch!

They do say that any middle aged white guy would look ridiculous in the Subaru, so that surely lets me out. They also say that for $2500 you can get your Cobra into the 11's.

Anyway, it is true that these are the good old days.

180 Out TS 28
Reply to
180 Out

"Erik D." wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@bellsouth.net:

Guess we'll have to wait for that head-to-head road test.

Joe

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (180 Out) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com:

Yeah, I think we're all agreed on that. And for $2500 I could get my LX into the low 13s. ;)

Joe

"Erik D." wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@bellsouth.net:

The HD truck is awesome - a cushy 4-door Lightning. Now I'd take one of those in a second except I don't have that kind of cash.

"Badges? We don' need no steenkin' badges..."

Joe

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Mike) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@mb-m04.aol.com:

Ya gotta have the CC. Saves the groceries from getting all wet if it's raining out.

Joe

I got a tonneau cover for that. It cost the previous owner 700 bucks, but it was worth every penny he spent ;) Erik D. '94 white lightning

Reply to
Erik D.

Seems like I have been waiting forever, I am getting anxious! Erik D. '94 white lightning

Reply to
Erik D.

"Erik D." wrote in news:3FD15802.7000006 @bellsouth.net:

Well, both trucks should be out within the month.

Joe

"Erik D." wrote in news:3FD157B4.1020908 @bellsouth.net:

Cool! BTW, my R/T came with one. Snapless, too. ;)

Joe

I agree, 180. (But let's hope we're both wrong!) That's why I say enjoy it while it last.

How does the lyrics go, 'you don't know what you had 'till it's gone'... Patrick '93 Cobra '83 LTD

Reply to
Patrick

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Patrick) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com:

"They paved paradise and put up a parking lot". - Joni Mitchell

Joe

...and The Counting Crows...and Amy Grant...

Love that song :-)

Mike

1995 Eagle Talon TSi
Reply to
Mike

Erik -- I think I've seen your name on a few posts there. I'm Jim03Lightning.

This was in Car and Driver, April, 2001 -- I looked it up, so I figure I might as well post it. :) :

"For power freaks, the good news is the new Lightning has a shorter final drive -- 3.73:1 vs. 3.55:1 -- and that means acceleration times have improved dramatically. Sprints to 60 mph now take 5.2 seconds,

0.6 second quicker than in the previous Lightning. The quarter-mile now whooshes by in an amazing 13.8 seconds at 104 mph, faster than an SVT Mustang Cobra and only a few ticks behind the $55,675 Mustang Cobra R, which performs the feat in 13.0 seconds at 111 mph." [Remember: This was before the supercharged Cobra came out. --Jim]

"...We expect the new truck, which other than a switch from Monroe to Bilstein shocks continues to share the suspension and tires with the old one, to hit the same 0.81 g on the skidpad."

-- Jim

Reply to
Jim J

Thanks :)

Erik D. '94 white lightning

Reply to
Erik D.

Joe wrote

It only cost me $1500 to get our '70 Cougar into the 10's. But that was mpg. :(

180 Out TS 28
Reply to
180 Out

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (180 Out) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com: