Thinking of an '04 GT...

Daydreaming occasionally turns into reality with a little bit of number juggling. Here's the scenario I'm dealing with right now.

I live in SW Pennsylvania... near Pittsburgh. Lots of salt and slush in the winter, but usually the roads are passable. I currently have a 1989 Probe GT 5-speed turbo for my daily driving duties, and a 1997 Cobra as my summer toy. The Probe has seen better days and is at about the point where I'm going to have to start dumping money into it. I paid $1k for the car and have about another $1k into it total, including tires and brakes. I can probably sell the car for at least $1k.

A Ford dealership in Tampa is selling new GTs for exceedingly low prices. Last month, with extra Ford incentives, the GT Premium cars were going for $18k, and the as-stripped-as-possible GTs for $16,700. Unfortunately, I was right in Tampa last week and didn't pick one up. The incentive has since expired.

I called to find out the prices on some of their new cars. A new GT optioned out the way I want (Sonic Blue, 5-speed, cloth seats) is on the lot, and I was quoted $19,700. It's worth the airfare for me to go buy this car in Tampa and drive it home as I can't touch a GT around here for $24k.

I'm thinking of selling the Probe and buying the new GT to perform daily driver (winter too) duties. I could perhaps go find another driver for the winter, but I've driven Mustangs in the snow plenty of times.

The only thing tempting is that there are great deals on Mach 1s, Roushs, and Cobras as well. Could drive the '97 snake down and trade it in on a new Cobra or supercharged Roush GT. Then I need to do something about a beater, as I wouldn't want to drive a special edition car in the salt.

Anybody have any ideas or things to throw in to the equation that I haven't thought of? I can't buy the car any earlier than the first weekend in June anyway as my schedule won't permit the travel time... so I have quite a bit of time to make sure I know what I want.

JS

Reply to
JS

On Thu, 06 May 2004 03:30:30 GMT, "JS" wrote something wonderfully witty:

I think you might miss having the Probe's FWD in the winter. Why not look at getting a better winter-time transport? Something with FWD or AWD. I have been told I am not allowed to use a broadsword to disprove ?The Pen is Mightier than the sword?.

Reply to
ZombyWoof

Watch out. I'm looking too, lots of BS offers from bait and switchers.

Al

Reply to
Big Al

So, you want to buy a new $19k GT to use as a commuter/beater car? It would be cheaper to dump some bucks into the beater, and later sell the Cobra if you like the '05's.

Or, if you just *hate* your beater car, sell and buy a better beater, preferably FWD that's ugly as hell, but runs great. This is where I'm at. I put about $3000 into my Chevy beater, and while it sounds like a lot of cash, the drivetrain/suspension/brakes/tires/steering are in like-new condition. It looks like hell, so I can park it anywhere. It gets 30+ mpg, and it's dirt-cheap to register and insure. Hell, it even seats 6 adults in comfort and has a huge trunk.

I'd think about. Then think about it some more. Watch the bait-n-switchers; if they don't snag you on the price, they snag you on add-on's and jacked up finance charges. (You do know that they add points to the loan, then pocket the difference, right?)

-JD

-------------------------------- Enlightenment for The Masses: http:/207.13.104.8/users/jdadams--------------------------------

Reply to
JD Adams

Which dealer in tampa?

Reply to
Stephen Rabinowitz

Thanks to everyone who has replied to this message. I figured you guys would have some ideas, and y'all didn't disappoint.

More replies below......

I definately understand the benefits of having a real beater. Probezilla's been great, and I don't seem to mind much at all when the moron next to me gets aggressive. I'm usually on the good side of the "new car - old car" game. If I put it into a tree in the winter, as long as I'm ok (and passengers if any), then I could care less.

My problem, I guess, is that I'm tired of dealing with the issues that beaters present. I don't mind doing casual maintenance, and I love to do mods (swapping a SEFI 5.0 into an '83 convertible this summer), so it's not the general working on the cars that's the problem. Trying to deal with exhaust and suspension components on a car that's seen salt for the last 15 years, and all of the other miscellaneous things that just break over time, is just getting to be annoying and time consuming. Every time I turn around, something little on the Probe either quits working or falls off. The stereo blows a fuse if I turn right too hard. The headlight motor system shorted out a long time ago and the linkage on the other side broke. Various pieces of plastic just seem to disintegrate. It's still a reliable little car, and I'll get $1k for it.

I'm at a point in life where, at 26, I can afford to buy something in the $18-24k range and still live quite comfortably. I have my own house, I have a Cobra, a beater, and a crotch rocket - all of which are paid for. I have only one loan, my mortgage, and no credit card debts. I have had a 401(k) plan for the last 4 years which is doing relatively well. I can buy a car in this price range and not have to compromise, and still put a little extra away every month.

bait-n-switchers;

I was planning to go with a Capital One Blank Check, as they have some of the lowest interest rates around it seems. This also puts me in the position of a cash buyer and leaves the finance charges out of it. As for add-ons, if I do buy the one I'm looking at, it's about as stripped as they come (cheap radio, cloth seats, 5-speed) and won't deal with something else. I'll definately be observant of the bait-n-switch though, thanks.

Thanks again for all of the thought provoking info. I'm a little leary of driving a new GT in the winter, but I need something fun to drive as a daily driver, since I'll be in it a *lot*. Various past daily drivers included multiple Mustangs, a Cavalier Z24 (which was a great little beater), and a Thunderbird Super Coupe. I've looked into the WRX, SRT-4, EVO, etc... and they're still a consideration. Gas factors into this ever so slightly, and

*everything* I've owned in the past 3 years has *required* 91-octane or higher. A new GT is actually economical compared to everything but the crotch rocket.

My friend brought up a good point though. The new GT runs just as hard as my Cobra (0-60 as published from Ford is actually quicker in the GT). Why have two of the exact same cars with slightly different bodies and different colors? The SOHC is more mod-friendly too.

I guess another option is a good, used something - be it Mustang or otherwise - with some sort of warranty.

So many things to consider here. I have some time though. The Cobra may become a daily driver for the next month or two as I figure it all out.

JS

Reply to
JS

The dealership that was mentioned here was Brandon Ford

There were a few people saying that they had very, very cheap Mustangs. There's a blown Roush there for $29k. From talking to the internet guy the other day, they have something like 55 Mach 1s as well, for prices I can barely touch a GT for here.

JS

Reply to
JS

Reply to
Stephen Rabinowitz
** My problem, I guess, is that I'm tired of dealing with the issues that ** beaters present.

I'm sorta getting that point myself. After spending $1500 getting all the problems fixed, just this week I discover that the exhaust manifold is falling apart; all of the welds are broken, the pipes are cracking, and there are cracks running from other cracks. It's a $20 job replacing it with a boneyard part, which isn't my complaint: it's the TIME required to do those stupid, niggling repair jobs that could be better spent elsewhere. I now know why people get rid of their cars before they hit 190,000 miles. :)

Is it really worth it?

Money wise, I don't think so. The additional money I spend to register/insure/repair/maintain a Beater doesn't offset the money I save by not driving the GT, that's for damn sure.

Peace-of-Mind wise, yes. This is the payoff, and it's not for everyone. I often must park my car on the curb all day in a bad side of town. Leave my GT there all day? No way -I'd come back to find all the wheels and airbags gone. I think this is where having a Beater pays off. If this kind of 'automotive usage' isn't something one does, you're probably better off not being saddled with Beater ownership.

Incidentally, congrats on your financial savvy. Being out of debt and tucking a few bucks away so that you can retire while you are young is as good as it gets. If I'd put money away when I was in my 20's, I could retire right now at 45.

-JD

-------------------------------- Enlightenment for The Masses: http:/207.13.104.8/users/jdadams--------------------------------

Reply to
JD Adams

I know the feeling on the exhaust manifold and other associated things just falling off and disintegrating. Right now, I'm at the point where I could sell the car for what I bought it for, and it's starting to nickel and dime me to death. I think it's time to go, even if it means the Cobra needs to take over daily driver duties. It was the daily driver last summer for the most part and split time with the bike.

I rarely leave my car anywhere where it'd be more subject to destruction than my house. Unfortunately, some punk broke into the house and took the keys (and the car) last year. It came back unharmed though. I've never had an issue elsewhere. I can definately understand where you're coming from on needing a beater though. I don't mind having a beater, but I'm ready for a "beater" that I don't have to put a ton of work and time into constantly. Time is, like everyone else, on short supply, and I can think of better things to do than continually fix a dying car.

Thanks. I don't really think I'll be able to retire at 45, but I won't be doing bad. Maybe that should be one of my goals though. Retire young enough to enjoy it...

JS

Reply to
JS

I Retired last year at the ripe old age of 41 !!! :>)

Well.....sorta, I'm semi-Retired now.

-ERIC

Reply to
Katmandu

What line of work are you in ?

-ERIC

Reply to
Katmandu

It's not a real simple explanation I guess.

I work for Mitsubishi Electric. Nothing to do with cars (except that I get a supplier discount for Mitsubishi, GM, Toyota, and Ford's X-plan). I started out 5 years ago as a lowly technician in Gas insulated Circuit Breakers where we build breakers for power substations (72-550kV). A start-up division that was necessary to repair the propulsion equipment (power electronics and motor/gearbox system) of Long Island Rail Road's (and Metro North RR's) new M-7 passenger trains had an opening, and I jumped in to fill the void of lead tech. As it stands now, by January we will be a manufacturing facility in addition to a repair facility, and it looks good that I will be supervising and planning a large portion of these operations. In fact, they are sending me over to Japan again in a couple weeks (went last year for initial training as nobody in the states had any real knowledge of the system) to help determine personnel requirements, assembly techniques, etc. While building breakers, my job was a routine assembly and test technician. Currently, I'm part QA, part inventory, part shipping and receiving, part repair technician, part purchasing, part supervisor (of myself as I'm the only tech). I get to write the working procedures, and I have a large say in how my division will operate, as I'm one of four in the entire division.

I have no degrees in anything, though I took some electronics theory in high school and one term of it in trade school. I've taught myself a lot of things, from microcontroller circuit design and programming to VB.

I will have to go to management training and will probably take up an engineering course or two (perhaps get a degree in EE Technology or something of the sort) to help the credentials so that HR doesn't have an issue with me moving up in the ranks, but I'm lucky to have had bosses that see potential and try to help me push to get me where I want to go.

Ok, so now that I've answered that question probably more in depth than you wanted/needed.... why do you ask?

;-)

JS

Reply to
JS

Just a nosey SOB I guess! :>)

Reply to
Katmandu

Here;s what I'd do;

Keep the beater for winter duty. Make sure it has: working heater, and decent winter tires. Keep the cobra for the summer. the 97 cobra is still a decent performing vehicle I think. Getting the GT isn't going to get you much more, it's a small step back in performance even.

Save up for the 05 or 06 I'd say.

Rein

get the 04 GT....you will love it.

Bryan