347 stroker and a T5?

Will the T5 handle the power put out by a 347 stroker? I've pretty much decided to build a 347 using the complete Scat rotating assembly with Performer Air Gap intake and aluminum heads. I want to use an OD tranny but have heard they aren't that strong. Should I just go get a Toploader or C4 and forget MPG?

Reply to
Scott Williams

Yes and no... depends on the driving style and more says "no" than "yes". If you can avoid shock-loading the trans, it would likely live a long and fruitful life. Since you and I both know that there will always be the eventual smoke-show, you must also realize that the best T5s couldn't handle much over 300 and some odd foot pounds. I'm not sure about what is available as far as really, really new stuff but I would consider either the toploader or (if your bank account is pretty flush) a Jericho with a "short fourth"... taht is to say that 1st and 2nd would be reduction gears.... the fourth gear position would be direct drive and the 3rd gear position would be OD....

Yes, it can and has been done..... no, it's probably not cheap..... when it comes to high performance, there's not many problems that can't be solved if we throw enough money at them....

Forget the C4... you're getting into C6 land.

Reply to
Jim Warman

"Jim Warman" wrote

Looks like I gotta go for the Toploader. A C6 won't fit.

Reply to
Scott Williams

get a Tremec 5 speed

Reply to
winze

It depends on a few things.

1) how much power will the 347 be making? 2) What T5 will you be using? 3) What is your rear end gear?

I had a mild 342 (375 hp/425 tq flywheel ) with a svo t5 (2.95 first gear) and 4.10 gears. I'd luanch it on the shift light with slicks and never had a problem for three years. My 60 ft times were in the 1.5s. One big thing in making any tranny last is to have the rear end gear a larger number than the first gear of the tranny. The larger the spread the easier it is on the tranny. I had one of the G-force reps explain it to me, but I really don't remember the technical details.

Driving style will have a lot to do with how long it lasts. Powershifting is a killer. Another option would be a tremec. IIRC they use the same bell housing as a top loader.

MadDAWG

Reply to
MadDAWG

"winze" wrote

Too big in the '66 tranny tunnel and I'm not modifying it.

Reply to
Scott Williams

"MadDAWG" wrote

About the same as yours, 375hp/425 tq. I'll be using Air gap intake with RPM, SVO, or AFR heads and split duration cam from Cam Research.

Rebuilt WC

Dunno yet, probably end up either 3.73's or 4.11's in an 8".

I've been to the website and seen the heavy duty T5 they build. Man ~$2500 before shipping. I can get a stock rebuilt WC T5 no core here in Denver for less than a grand and not worry about shipping.

Never do it myself. I don't want to take any chances.

But the ass end is too big to fit the tranny tunnel on a '66. I think I'll give the guys at G-force a call.

Reply to
Scott Williams

Scott,

It depends on what you're going to do with the car. If it's going to see a lot of drag strip action with slicks, then a T-5 isn't going to last too long between rebuilds. However, if your car is just going to be a street car wearing normal street radials, then your T-5 could last quite a while if you're using a quality shifter and don't do very much power shifting. A friend of mine has a nearly 700 rear-wheel-horsepower motor, and had a plain old production T-5 transfering all that power for about 60,000 miles, and it was still doing okay when he finally upgraded to a Tremec TKO.

Patrick '93 Cobra '83 LTD

Reply to
Patrick

"Patrick" wrote

This car will only ever see street radials, and not rubberbands either, probably 235/60 15's in the rear.

Reply to
Scott Williams

Be very careful with the term "world class". The world class label has something to do with how the bearings are in stalled and nothing more. The early world class t5s were only rated for 260 ft/lbs of torque (what was in my 86). Then they got bumped up in 89 to around 290 IIRC, and then there is the SVO unit that's rated for 320 ft lbs with the 2.95 first gear ratio. The last one would be the only on to consider if just buying one out right. Another option if you all ready have a t5 is to replace the gears with the g-force set, but your are talking around $1000 for parts. So if you don't all ready have a t5 setup I'd say the Tremec is a better option. Since I all ready have a T5 and the bastard sn95 setup I'll probably go Geforce myself.

MadDAWG

Reply to
MadDAWG

I would think the svo 2.95 first gear unit would be the way to go then.

MadDAWG

Reply to
MadDAWG