Thoughts for 2009

So, it's about time to put the Stang away. :( I sooo hate winter.

So what to do about summer 2009? I want to add a little power to it but not sure what to do. Anyone want to share their thoughts so I can digest it over the winter?

The car is a 93 Cobra, with a few things: C&L, shorties, smog pump removed, shifter, good exhaust and 3.27s. Probably making about 300hp and it pulls at 80mph like it does at 30mph.

I'm thinking of a blower but there are so many kinds and variations. Because I'm building a house and recently bought the wife a $20,000 diamond ring (for an anniversary thing - and yes, it's paid off in spades!, but I have to pay for it now), cash is a little tight. So I'm thinking the Novi 1000 looks good for the price. Do you guys think I can get to 400hp with that? The Procharger looks good too but is more expensive and can anyone really hook with one of those? What about a 5lb Vortech? Again, 400hp?

And most of all, I want to put it in, close the hood, and forget about it. No maintenance, no fuel additives, easy oil changes, everything.

If anyone wants to chime in on their experience, that would be great.

Thanks guys.

Brad

Reply to
Brad and Karen

Michael Johnson

If I said put an aluminum headed 514 in it would you guys start tossing rusty starters my way?

Al

Reply to
Big Al

Maybe a rusty Camshaft

Scott W. TS #57 (from the old days)

Reply to
Scott W.

[...]

*** smog pump should be in, it makes the cats hot to pass emmisions, dosent rob that much power either, Cobra should make about 240 or 260 HP stock at flywheel. I would put a Keene Bell blower, 6# to 8# lots of low end torque the other super charges don't have, and get it professionally tuned (about $400 or so they put a new chip in). Injectors may just make it as is, but you could go up one size more, and you will need a higher capacity fuel pump. ***IMHO much above 330 HP in a 5.0 for street driving is unstable, back end can slip out too easy on slick spots, you need good performance tires to stay hooked up, hard tires are bad news (winter, snow, year round etc), and car can wobble if you hit the gas while turning some. The KB is easy to put on. Stang I have is very fast in town. I would skip most other mods, too little HP for too much money. But your engine needs to be healthy too, how many miles?, check compression, should be about 45 to 55 (or so) across all cylinders, 60+ too much carbon, read the plugs.

-1987 5.0 and 1993 5.0 8# KB

Reply to
Shurley

Um, Canadian Cobra? About 187rwhp, otherwise 199rwhp. And taking off a smog pump ain't a performance thing.

You'll need more than a blower.

Posting with text only in Outlook Express

tools>options>send tab>news sending format-click send plain text

Reply to
GILL

Tried to reply but can't figure your email address out?

Al

Reply to
Big Al

Just drop the "at" and "dot" and make them a "@" and a "."

Scott W.

Reply to
Scott W.

The problem seems to be the "_" in it.

Email me @ molinkyathotmaildotcom

Just strip it out like yours.

Al

Reply to
Big Al

"Big Al" wrote

Wierd. Never had problems before. Email on the way.

Scott W.

Reply to
Scott W.

No, it's a real 1993 Cobra. This car is pretty darn quick and pulls at 80mph like it does at 30mph. I figure it's 300hp, with the mods. I would like to get to 400hp. I just wonder how much of that torque on the KB is useable... The tires break easily as is and adding another 100lbs of TQ to it might be overkill??? All the little high end cars (Ferraris for example) have 300lbs of TQ but gobs of HP and they go good, of course.

Is the KB easy to maintain? I don't mind turning a wrench but not every weekend. I'd just like to install it and go. I just don't trust the info on the websites, as they all say "we're the best"...

I'll buy the best tires you can get to keep it on the ground (those 4-banger stock springs in the rear help too).

Thanks again.

Brad

Reply to
Brad and Karen