throw out bearing replacement - 96 GT

Thinking I could drop the shaft at the rear, remove four bolts holding the gearbox to the bell housing, shifter, cross-member.... slide the gearbox back. should be able to replace the bearing through the bell housing hole? Anyone tried it?

Making a whining noise only when the clutch is depressed... assuming that's the throw out bearing.

Reply to
tapenick

foctard i bet ya cant why dont ya fix it right i bet your clutch is shot too

h u r c

Reply to
simpson4532

You might be able to worm it in there, but your going to be sorry when you have to take everything else apart to replace your clutch too.

My vote is to replace the clutch disc, pressure plate, and throwout bearing with a new matched set, and have the flywheel surfaced at the same time.

You won't regret doing it right the first time.

Carl

Reply to
Carl

What Carl said.... now is the time to address future concerns, as well... If it were my car, it would get both release and pilot bearings..... it would probably get at least a new disc..... it would most likely get "the full meal deal". I have little patience for working on my daily driver.... even my scooter is almost permanently dirty ( I bought it to ride - not polish) - if I throw away a clutch that is still serviceable but not for long, I'm not throwing away the price of a new clutch.... I'm throwing away the commensurate value based on percent of wear....

If, however, your idea of "fun" is crawling around under your car on your back.... please disregard this advice....

Reply to
Jim Warman

I forgot to mention the pilot bearing as well, good catch, Jim.

Carl

Reply to
Carl

I think y'all are right about the clutch. Just got the car Friday and had only driven it once. Drove it today and suspect the clutch too.

Trying to turn this one for a profit so a little different approach than for a keeper. But plan on fixing it right now that I suspect the clutch.

BTW: Autozone loans pilot bearing pullers... that was a problem for me last time I changed one on a Stang.

Reply to
tapenick

Is it in the crank or in the flywheel?

Carl

Reply to
Carl

The pilot bearing? If so, it's in the crank.

Reply to
tapenick

oh, ok. On my 89 Jeep, it was pressed into the flywheel.

Carl

Reply to
Carl