Throw out bearing woes

Here's one maybe someone can answer. Just replaced my transmission. Was a 65 swingaxle, now is a semi-modified swing axle. I switched the throwout fork and kept the older style using my orig. throwout bearing to match my pressure plate (which has the collar). Everything lines up A OK, bearing matches the plate so no problems there. Now.... with the clutch fully adjusted, engine running clutch fully depressed I cant get into any gear. Throw out making no noise whatsoever, engine is not under any load with clutch depressed. I am sure the thing is in there correctly and on the forks. I cant think of any reason why the bearing isn't hitting the plate. I switched the return spring on the throwout arm but i cant believe there's that much tension as to not fully extend the throwout arm. Anyone have any ideas? I rue the idea of pulling this engine....again. Thanks.

Reply to
jtbartlett

OK. Let's assume that all is right inside the bellhousing.

Have a helper push pedal to floor. You get underneath with the big wrench. I don't know what you will use, but it will be strong. Put the tool on the clutch lever and attempt to turn it further than the pedal will pull it.

If the lever *will* turn more, then the problem is probably that the cable isn't pulling it far enough. For whatever reason. Bowden tube gets in the way. Conduit in tunnel has broken a weld and is flexing. Pedal travel restricted.

If you're brave enough at that point, maybe idle engine and have helper engage a gear (while you tug on the lever).

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

Thanks for the quick response Jim. Here's what's up: I pulled the engine and everything out back checked out OK. Bearing is sitting nicely on forks, clips attatched. The tranny shifts just fine when engine is out of car. No problems. Engine installed it seems difficult getting it into gear with clutch depressed. I can't believe the throwout bearing is torqueing the input shaft because I can feel it engage the pressure plate. Maybe I am over adjusting the clutch pedal???? Dunno. a bit frustrating at this point. I even removed the pressure plate to make sure it wasn't frozen in place or anything like that but it checked out ok too.

Reply to
jtbartlett

Here's a test with engine back in:

Engine idling. Pedal to floor. Very, very slowly, try to engage Reverse gear. If it grinds, the clutch is dragging/not releasing fully.

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

i recently solved a similar problem that had plagued my 68 for some time now.....only it was really odd....but heck, so am i..... anyway....starting out on a journey in the car was fine....but as you progressed, almost seemed that as things "heated up" it got worse, the clutch would begin to act wierd....by wierd i mean when starting out the clutch had nice freeplay....but as you drove a bit, it suddenly had NO freeplay....and would drag, as if not releasing all the way....really odd, since usually if you have no freeplay you are dealing with it not engaging completely....it took a really swift yank to get it into gear without grinding....this always puzzled me and i learned to *deal* with it...hehe...anyway, to make a long story longer, i recently removed my engine....i found some broken parts in the bellhousing... the pressureplate was a kennedy stage 1 and was an older model(called the 1700psi model) and was of the three finger design.....used in a later model trans it didn't use the center ring....one of the springtype clips that hold the fingers in tight to the springs had broken....so the arm was all over the place....had drug on the bellhousing too....so anyway, i have had pressureplate problems before that would cause a no disengage problem, but not like this..... If the PO can't find his problem its possible his pressure plate is "collapsing" and not allowing it to release all the way.....been there too...

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

yes, i had a similiar problem. replace the pressure plate. hey, the whole clutch. good luck!

Reply to
Crusader george

did you grease the pilot bearing? did you clean and grease the clutch disc splines or trans mainshaft splines? The clutch disc needs to be able to slide freely over the mainshaft. If it does not fully slide over then that might be your problem! ;-)

Reply to
One out of many Daves

Hauled everything out....again :) There's now a bright polish on the input shaft and clutch slides nicely onto it. Just got the mother back in. I'll bolt it up when it cools off here, maybe tonight. I replaced the throw out shaft and bearing, had one laying around the shop so I really had nothing to lose. I had to SAW through the brass bushing that was in there. I actually like the brass bushing more than the steel/aluminum sleeve replacement. Oh well. It's out now. The wierd thing is that all these parts are new, transmission, clutch and plate, maybe 300 miles on the clutch assembly. I'm thinking the clutch was hanging on the corroded input shaft. I didn't grease it but it slides ok now.

Reply to
jtbartlett

Hauled everything out....again :) There's now a bright polish on the input shaft and clutch slides nicely onto it. Just got the mother back in. I'll bolt it up when it cools off here, maybe tonight. I replaced the throw out shaft and bearing, had one laying around the shop so I really had nothing to lose. I had to SAW through the brass bushing that was in there. I actually like the brass bushing more than the steel/aluminum sleeve replacement. Oh well. It's out now. The wierd thing is that all these parts are new, transmission, clutch and plate, maybe 300 miles on the clutch assembly. I'm thinking the clutch was hanging on the corroded input shaft. I didn't grease it but it slides ok now.

Reply to
jtbartlett

fingers crossed! :-) if that input shaft was corroded and the disc was not freely sliding on it, then that should have been the problem.

Reply to
One out of many Daves