'71 Auto tranny question

GGGGCCCCCCHHHHHHH is what the starter says. Starter's been replaced in the past and a peek under the inspection plate shows V shaped teeth in the flex plate from the perspective of laying under it and looking straight up.

I've got a cement floor, jackstands and a rolling floor jack and a flex plate to install. What's involved to drop the drive line, unbolt the tranny and move it back enough to change the flex plate? It's a V8 with AC. No transmission cooler as far as I know.

I usually work on air cooled VW's. Should I tow this to a 'merican mechanic or can I do it with the above? Anybody do this recently and have a write up? P-mail response, please.

snipped-for-privacy@SCREWSPAMMERScomcast.net

Reply to
cc0235553

Not all that difficult depending on the vehicle. Basically (real basic), pull the drive shaft, remove tranmission to mount bolt(s), place jack under transmission, remove all cooler lines/shift linkages/vacuum tubes from transmission, remove transmission cross member/mount, carefully lower rear of transmission allowing access to all bellhousing to engine mounting bolts, block up rear of engine, remove all bell housing to engine mounting bolts, somewhere in there remove the flex plate to torque convertor bolts, slide transmission back (helps to have a strong friend) being carefull that the convertor goes with the transmission (they are very heavy). Would be best to get some type of shop manual. I have done it several times in my garage on my old Chevy pickup with the same equipment you have. It's not all that hard to do, just take your time and be careful that you dont drop the transmission or convertor, and make sure you block up the engine. tad

Reply to
ottertailfamily