68 ragtop suspension mod

Is there a relatively cheap way to stiffen the suspension on a 68 convertible? I love my pony but I miss my Porsche.

Reply to
John Karcher

My recommendation for a start would be to look through the Mustangs Plus catalog.

Ed

Reply to
Edmund W. Conen, III

John Karcher wrote

To stiffen the suspension, nothing is better or cheaper than KYB Gas-A-Just shocks. To stiffen THE CAR, you need frame connectors. Maier Racing

weld-ons are the way to go, our if you have more money Total Control Products makes some that have a bolt-on X-member.

To get close to Porsche standards, a roll cage is required. But that would look pretty funky on a vert.

There's also springs -- Eibach progressives from Pro Motorsports (Dr. Gas) for the front and 4.5 leafs from Maier for the rear. And bushings too. Del-alum from Global West or midolyne from American Pony if you want something a little stiffer.

Also, unless the front suspension has been rebuilt lately, tie rod ends, ball joints, and idler arm wouldn't hurt.

Then there's that rasty old steering box. For ease of installation and for economy, a new recirculating ball box from Flaming River is the way to go. If you want rack and pinion, I believe FR has a new unit just out, and there's always Total Control Products for the deep-pocketed.

Unfortunately, if you've made it this far down the list, I've just spent about $2000 of your money -- or $1000-1500 to add the roll cage. Not exactly cheap.

180 Out TS 28
Reply to
180 Out

Truckload of thanks! Just what I needed to know!

180 Out wrote:

Reply to
John Karcher