Toronto Star writer responds to email

Hi Richard:

Because virtually all of my competition experience has been on road courses rather than at drag strips, I have never had an intuitive feel for what a good quarter-mile time is. 0 - 100 km/h I can sort of relate to, and those numbers aren't all that much different for a GT versus a Mach I, as I stated.

I had hoped to convey the extra energy the Mach I had, but maybe for a long-time multiple- offender like you, I missed!

For sure, it is a much more energetic car.

I don't know how many more special editions Ford has planned for the last-of-the-Fox Mustangs; I was under the impression that this Mach I was sort if the end of the line.

I also agree that the original LX 5.0 was one of the great performance bargains of all time. What were they - something like thirteen grand out the door? Geez - you'd get maybe a Hyundai Accent for that now, but not much else.

Where DID all the power go? Up the intake manifold of Ford's awful "modular" V8. That thing, especially in its early iterations, wouldn't pull a sick baby off a toilet seat. It was awful in 4.6 litre form in the Fords, in 5.4 litre form in the Lincolns and SUVs, awful everywhere, at least until they Cobra-ized it. They seem to be slowly figuring out the breathing, as the Mach I and the 2005 Mustang seem to attest.

Cheers, and thanks for reading.

Jim Kenzie

At 05:01 PM 6/4/2004, you wrote:

I enjoyed your Mach-1 article, but it didn't really convey the vast >difference in feel and power the Mach-1 has over the GT. > >The Mach will walk away from the GT in a 0-100kph race or quarter >miler. Some stock Mach owners have run 13.1 second >quarters. The GT can't get near that. >I've previously owned a 1988 LX 5.0 (the wildest ride), a 1993 LX 5.0 >(where did the power go?), a 2001 GT which was fairly > >quick but tame feeling and now the 2004 Mach-1. The 2001 GT used to lean >when you took a curve at speed, the Mach-1 >doesn't do this nearly as much. Probably because of the sub-frame >connectors (used on the convertible GT) welded underneath. > >But the sound, kick and overall ride of the Mach-1 is completely different >from the GT. >BTW; According to someone at Ford, if there are any late specialty >editions of the 2005 Mustang model, it will most likely be some > >kind of "Boss" reincarnation. The Cobra is coming back in 2006, no word >at all on a new Mach-1. Time will tell. >Thanks >
Reply to
Richard