"PATS" chipped Keys.....?

I recently bought a 2000 GT 5spd, I only have 1 key for it & hate to spend $100 to have a 2nd key made. Anyone have any ideas about how to bypass the pats system. Thx in advance Kelly

Reply to
<jkcac

Ask professional car thieves.

Dana

Reply to
Dana Myers

Reply to
<jkcac

call around in your area to see if any dealers do it.. look for a price like $25-$35 and bite on it when you find one.. not all dealers charge $100 for a key... most do as they can get away with it............... how about key shops.... call around, use the yellow pages.....

Reply to
jim

Fair 'nuff. I found this pretty easily with Google:

It's pretty informative. Since you have only one key, it looks like you might be headed to a dealer.

Good luck.

Dana

Reply to
Dana Myers

It isn't the price of the key. It is the price of the labor needed to program the new key into your Mustang's computer.

With only one key, it is more difficult than with two (with two, an owner can do it themselves). More difficult means more time and more time means more labor costs.

For the > call around in your area to see if any dealers do it.. look for a price

Reply to
Walt

I agree.... better yet is to never have less than three programmed keys...... should one become misplaced, it is a simple matter to program a new one, but only if you already have two programmed keys. With only one key, the dealer must use a very expensive scan tool (there may be simpler ones out there, but I'm not aware of them) to perform an erase and relearn that can take up to a half hour - if the person doing the programming muffs a step, it's all the eay back to square one. You can expect that part of the dealerships charge will be to recover the capital investment of the scanner.

Hope this keeps at least someone from getting trapped....

Jim Warman

I found a locksmith here in Jax, FL that said he can cut & program a 2nd key for $60. Going to check him out tomorrow. Just paranoid, if I had 10 keys to my car I'd never lose 1, but only having 1.......you get the idea. I have removed the alarm fob from the key chain, just incase I screw up & lock the key in the car (never done that b4, knocking on wood!!!) Thanks ya'll for your advice. I'm sure I'll be back with other questions as time goes by. Kelly

Reply to
KellyJ

You don't need a PATS key to unlock the door. You can get a second non-pats key made to hide on the car so you can unlock it. Even if someone found it they would not be able to start the car. I hide a non-PATS key under the car and a PATS key inside the car so if I every lose the key I can still drive it away. Yet if anyone finds the hidden key outside they won't be able to drive it - it's not likely they will find both keys.

(never done that b4, knocking on wood!!!)

----------------- Jim '88 LX 5.0 (now in car heaven) '89 LX 5.0 vert '99 GT 35th Anniversery Edition - Silver Mods to date - Relocated trunk release to drivers side, shortened throttle cable.

Reply to
AZGuy

I just keep a regular key in my wallet. Has come in handy when I've had the car warming up while I brushed the snow off and locked my keys inside....

Reply to
Brent P

That is a bonus idea.... thanx for the suggestion.......

Sometimes the forest is so close, we can't see the trees.

All the same, having 'too' many programmed keys at our disposal is a good thing.

Jim Warman

Reply to
Jim Warman

About how much will a non-programmed key cost (avg) to get made?

-Mike

Reply to
<memset

Where I live, about 30 skins..... taking exchange into account, 'bout 20some 'Murican. Our dealership does the key thing for free for those that purchased the car here..... All I can suggest is that, if you bought new, approach your selling dealer..... if you bought used, may God be with you....

Jim Warman

Reply to
Jim Warman

Do you mean an ordinary metal key blank, cut to match your key? $5 or so, at Wal-Mart or Ace or something.

An unprogrammed PATS key ? I dunno. Probably $30ish

Dana

Reply to
Dana Myers

Ace Hardware is aprx $1.50+tax. Cheap investment in my wallet for that expensive investment under the carport. :)

Reply to
Greg B.

I might have misread.... did you mean non-chipped key? Or a chipped key with out programming..... non-chipped key would be 3 or 4 bux.

Reply to
Jim Warman

What a stupid, rude, unresponsive answer.

Reply to
yooser

The answer was more of a joke than an actual answer to a question. Dana was just being funny and Everyone else has a sense of humor, where did you put yours?

Reply to
Greg B.

So, um, what useful information did you provide?

Dana

Reply to
Dana Myers

Well I've only got 1 key also.. which I'm not paranoid about... I'd like to have a non-chipped (sorry) key that'll allow me to unlock the door but not start the car. Thanks.

-Mike

Reply to
<memset