Two incidents of auto insanity

Courtesy of Ontario-Canadas DIMWIT Liberal government.

  1. They threaten to withold car or other vehicle licenses from teens who fail to graduate from high school. So, one very important avenue to employment (trucking, or anything that requires a vehicle license) is denied to some of the people who could use it most.
  2. They put "car pool" lanes in some of the busiest spots on three of Ontario's highways. This travesty of urban planning has NEVER produced satisfactory results where it has been tried. If you drive as a single passenger in the lane, you face a 0 fine and THREE demerit points! Nice, having your insurance skyrocket because you didn't have someone in the car chatting at and distracting you!! Most of this is par for the course for Liberals who will go to any length to "punish" car drivers because we are sinners and polluters. Virtually every dime generated by auto use is put into "public transport" or some other anti-car effort and none of it goes back to the road system, etc. The fact the auto industry is a pillar of the Ontario economy is lost on these clowns.
Reply to
michaelanderson4

Shawn McClelland

One does not necessarily have anything to do with the other.

First, it's only being used as an incentive to finish school, which is a good thing, but takes away the motive to really learn. Instead the motivation is just so they can get a license. It does not mean the kid drives any better or worse.

Second, many pre- graduates have jobs which require getting to/from; and even some high school courses may be taught off campus, such a work programs.

I've seen plenty of people who never finished high school who are more together than most of the egghead graduates who think they now know it all, but can't wipe... well, you get the picture. After I retired, I went back to college with some of those young kids who think that their diploma is going to land them in luxury. There was a time when that was true, because few went on to college. Today, as the numbers of college grads climbs, the competition gets heavier. And, while the best suited for the position may be the one who worked their way up the ladder, all to often it's the one who has the diploma who gets the job. Not because they are smarter, just because they graduated from college.

Higher education, in a lot of ways, is phony. Especially, when young adults graduate, but have no idea how to handle a budget, balance a checkbook, use credit, or boil water without burning it.

Reply to
Spike

While all of the above maybe true anyone today who denies themselves an education is almost guaranteed to make less money over their lifetime then their better educated brethren.

The conferring of a Bachelors Degree (or even higher) does not mean the holder actually knows how to do anything specific to any given job, but more often then not has proven that they are trainable and have certain research skills. Their GPA is usually reflective of at what level in either. Depending on their degree they have also been exposed to a more varied level of areas such as art, literature, science, logic and philosophy. All in all this exposure can make them a better informed and more well rounded individual.

If all else fails at least they learn how to party their asses off.

Reply to
ZombyWoof

You'll note that I got the education, and hold three degrees. I didn't do so for the monetary increase over others. I did so because it applied to my fields. I'm one of those who does not think money is the goal. It's great to have, but helping others is my greatest reward.

Unfortunately, while it should not mean that, to many it does. Watch the mentality of a great many graduates who suddenly have this holier than thou attitude because they are educated. Your best friend one day, who now lords it over you. And the corporate scouts feed that egocentric view. Quite a few of those graduates will soon hit a wall and realize they have chosen the wrong path like people who fight their way through law or medical school only to find they can't handle the pressure or some other factor.

I've seen "good 'ol boys" who knew that without even a high school education. The guys who make golf balls for wealthy, yet unhappy and unfulfilled "collich guys".

With all that education we end up with a hell of a lot of chiefs sitting around waiting for a meal, and no braves to go kill the buffalo for dinner. And then people complain about the influx of illegal workers who do the work the educated people won't do. As well as a lot of VERY educated janitors.

Reply to
Spike

Comment on that particular part:

I have two Assoc degrees, or equivalents thereof. (EET & CSIT)

I started from there and educated my own self, on the job.

I progressed from a radio tech to a computer tech to a logic designer, to a consumer electronics designer to a telecom engineer to a computer system engineer to Systems Admin to user interface design/integration to....

And I have interviewed mentored and managed entirely too many graduates who come into the field believing they are ready to hit the ground running. WORSE, their profs TOLD them they were ready to go! The most striking example, a fairly well brainwashed guy who told us, not just me, that his Prof said they were ready for Engineering Sales and to not settle for some plebian engineering project.

sidenote: Going to lunch with the guy, was eye-opening as well... shifted his four- banger at 1300 RPM... when my boss and I suggested he might do well to rev a little higher, considering the engine, he said that was how his dad said to shift a stick.

The point of all this is, the HS grad is not ready to be a shift manager at MacDonald's and the college grad is rarely ready to design let alone manage an engineering project... though SOME co-op types certainly are... my nephew being one of them, he's been coding for 4 years AND going to school full-time.

I've been bitten in the arse, however, by my lack of diploma... I was in the top 5% non-managerial staff salary of my corporate division and considered equivalent of a PhD, according to my HR reviews.

Made enough in fact to pay two kids' college bills out of my checkbook at the same time.

The downside, of course, is that IS NOT portable! And when I was "Riffed" partially due to my salary, it really hit me hard.

GREAT training for what you'll see in corporate life. If you can handle the politics of 'school', you're more likely to play the corporate game successfully... .I didnt have the patience, and it showed.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic