Upgrading rims size from 16" to 18" on 2004 V6 Convertible?

I have a 2004 V6 convertible. I think the stock 16" rims are small and doesn't look so good. I want to change the rims and tires to 18". My current car has 12k miles on the factory Eagle tires. Anyone increase their rim size? Are there disadvantages with changing the stock wheels? loss of gas mileage? hitting bump problems? Anyone information is appreciated.. Recommendations?

Reply to
duke1234

I had a 97 V6, and I changed the stock rims with the replica saleen 18". It looked great, but I felt there was some loose in controlling the car. In one of those wet days, when i was making a right turn, the car just slipped and hit the sidewalk. I think I'd have more controll with the stock rims, but still not sure about that.

Reply to
mustangGT_00

at 22 Mar 2006, mustangGT_00 [ snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com] wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@localhost.talkaboutautos.com:

I changed the stock 15" steel wheels on my 95 to 17" Ford OEM split spoke ones and handling greatly improved. How good quality are those replica Saleen wheels? Maybe there is flex in them causing your problems or they were not mounted right. Have you checked the lugnuts?

Reply to
Paul

I went from 15 to 18" wheels on my 95 & the handling is alot better since you will have a lower profile tire so no tire roll, theres no loss in mpg. but the ride is a little rougher

Reply to
suck_huckle

I suggest looking at

and looking at plus-size tires for your car. There are a lot of good performance or UHP tires out there that won't break your wallet. I only went up from 16" to 17" and put MX (Kumho) tires on my Mustang.

Gary B.

Reply to
Gary

Uh... that's your tires, not the wheels. Boy-racer tires arent known to be good in the wet.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

I did the change.. I lost a bit of acceleration power but they look great. I got the staggered configuration. 18x9 in front and 18x10 in back.

Reply to
duke1234