Towing with my v6

Car in question is a 1999 Mustang v6 AT (AODE) 'vert.

I'm planning on moving from Seattle, WA to Hopewell, VA in May. I intend to drive over the cascades to Idaho, south to Reno, South to Vegas, East to the Grand Canyon, and then finally over the great plains to Hopewell.

U-haul rents a small 4'x8' trailer for $200. I could fit everything I want to take with me in this trailer. The trailer fully loaded weighs less than

2000lbs. I know I'll need an HD trans cooler, but what else? Will my 'Stang get it done?

Carl

Reply to
Carl

Now just what in the sorld would make you want to move from the best coast to the other side? On your way through, stop in, we'll burn soemthing on the BBQ for ya kid.

Reply to
KJ.Kate

Yeah... a thorough cooling system flush, Prestone green anti-freeze 40 AF/ 60 water and a bottle of Redline water wetter .. yes, the stuff REALLY works!.

Go to salvage yard and pick up a spare fan, and get enough wire and splices, etc to kludge in wiring to fan. Slap on new ceramix pads, and if you have ANY steering wheel shimmy on braking, replace those rotors with good quality ones now.

Gas: Use ONLY fuel from high volume stations on the way. If you have to pick one.. and you should.. BP-Amoco. (Never thought I'd be saying that! BP/Standard/Sohio used to be the WORST gas!) Do I have to tell you to keep gas receipts?

Dont forget, the trans cooler should sit in the RETURN line to trans.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

If you had the required hitch and lights, (a transmission cooler would be a good idea too), you'd be all set except for one minor detail. Uhaul won't allow their trailers to be towed with anything that has a ragtop....even SUV's ......per their website

Keith

Reply to
KW

Not EXACTLY>>>>>

Must be equipped with a hard top if it is an SUV.

{my parsing for clarity}

U-Haul does not allow any type of sport-utility vehicle not equipped with a hard top to tow U-Haul equipment.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

You are correct on the wording on the site..... however, based on a former personal experience with the boys in orange, the same holds true for any vehicle with a soft top. According to the person that I argue^H^H^H...uh, discussed such matters with at that time, it is an insurance issue related to the propensity of rollovers with inexperienced tow-ers (average U-Haul renter) and resulting potential for injury in a vert versus same for a hardtop in the same vehicle.

Ok, so I paid the price, now wipe off some of the Krust:-)

Reply to
KW

Then that guy interpreted his own company's wording wrong.

  1. If they had MEANT softtop -period- they would have put it that way.
  2. How many soft-top SUV's you know of? Only the Wrangler and Tracker types, right? Rollover-wise there's NO similarity of occurrence between them and a Mustang convertible. Or any other car platform for that matter.

I suggest the OP check with his local renter. If the local renter says the same, then talk with corporate.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Just go pick it up with someone's truck...

Reply to
351CJ

If you go thru the motions on the site, it asks you to pick if you have a hardtop or a convertable..

Either way, I have decided that I can live without my 50", so the trailer won't be needed.

Thanks,

Carl

Reply to
Carl

Doesn't really matter what we might think they MEANT, if you go through the motions to rent a trailer via the system that the local dealers use and they click yes at the point where it asks if your car is a convertible, you get rejected.

In and of themselves, you are correct....... but the statement was that the combination of towing trailers and lack of experience (i.e. *average* Uhaul trailer renter) resulted in a higher propensity of rollovers in accidents without regard to the type of vehicle used.

Be my guest......rules are made to be changed :-)

Reply to
KW

And it's not like that fiberglass shell is going to do much more for the occupants in a rollover than the standard roll bar (excuse me, "sport" bar) is already doing...

Reply to
Garth Almgren

It doesn't reject you if you choose convertable.

Carl

Reply to
Carl