Vibration in upper gears at speed

1991 LX, 5.0 Convertible, 4.10 rear, new T5

Having recently completed the conversion from AOD to T5, I am thrilled with the performance difference.

Thus far the swap has been great, with the exception of a fairly pronounced vibration in any shifts to 4th and 5th with the RPM's above 3K. The vibration stays while driving, not just when the clutch is depressed. The T5 is new and the clutch is a new Ram unit. The driveshaft was from a donor, but I replaced the U-joints prior to installation.

(1) Would this indicate driveshaft balance problems and would it be cured by an aluminum driveshaft?

Any comments or suggestions?

Reply to
Carolina Country Store

I would suspect a bent drive shaft or a basic drive shaft imbalance. Might want to see if a local drive-line shop can balance it.

Just my $.02

steve

Carol> 1991 LX, 5.0 Convertible, 4.10 rear, new T5

Reply to
steve

It was in my case. I picked up the aluminum drive shaft from Ford and have never looked back. I was also surprise that the price by the prices of the drive shaft and considered it very cheap at $189.00

Reply to
Joe Cilinceon