VIN?

I know the VIN is on a shiny strip under the driver's window. Is there anywhere else it is stamped in?

Reply to
elaich

it is on each door each fender.. the hood trunk all over

Reply to
J. Sprauer

It depends on the year of the car as to where the VIN can be found.

Reply to
Blue Mesteno

"J. Sprauer" wrote in news:r9ENf.55686$dW3.51784 @newssvr21.news.prodigy.com:

What would be the point of stamping the VIN on removable parts like those, that may possibly end up transplanted onto another vehicle at some point?

I have heard that the VIN is stamped into the frame or undercarriage. However, if there is no standard place for it to be stamped, that wouldn't do much good, would it?

Reply to
elaich

in case they are stolen i guess... i dont build them so i dont know but my jeeps and mustangs have the vin on every panel

Reply to
J. Sprauer

Why, you planning to steal one and swap out the numbers ???/ LOL

j/k

Kate

Reply to
KJ.Kate

Jesus Christ people. It goes back to WHAT YEAR THE CAR WAS MADE!!! It's not ALL OVER THE CAR!! There are very specific places that the VIN is stamped. It depends on when and where the car was built as to where the stamps are located.

Reply to
Blue Mesteno

There are places that are obvious and there are places that we don't suspect.... vehicle theft delivers a pretty big hit to the GNP and other numbers.... The manufacturers hace placed VIN indcators in many places.... in my day job, I run across the odd one... but I sure haven't seen every one....

Reply to
Jim Warman

I think he's up to no good.

yep, I do.

KJK

Reply to
KJ.Kate

"KJ.Kate" wrote in news:8V%Nf.5134$f6.3869 @bignews1.bellsouth.net:

Nah. A buddy has a decrepit old Pinto that he loves, but wants to find a nicer one. However, his is smog exempt (1975 model) and the one he found is a '77 that would never pass smog. He was toying with the idea of swapping the VIN plates that are located under the windshield. I urged him not to do it, because I was sure that the VIN is also stamped into the body in other places.

Reply to
elaich

on the newer vehicles its nice to have them on all the fenders doors and hood...etc since I am in the car business I can tell right away that everythings original not d.o.t. fenders and such.... so that tells me no major accidents in front end!!

Reply to
J. Sprauer

"elaich" wrote

You mean BESIDES the fact that it's a felony?

Reply to
Blue Mesteno

LMAO Yes, techincally BUT - LOL - let me catch my breath here. Do you REALLY think they would prosecute a guy for swapping vins on a PINTO? I mean, really, more like petty larceny, the car cannot be worh more than a coupla hundred bucks.

Kate

Reply to
KJ.Kate

In CA they would definitely prosecute, and take the car.

In CA, if the law has not been changed, if you drop a pre smog engine into a brand new car, it would be exempt because the smog exemption is based on the engine not the body/frame. One of my co-workers bought a VW bug that was smog required based on year. When he proved the engine was pre-smog the state exempted him.

Reply to
Spike

I always thought the engine AND ALL emissions had to be what was offered by the Manufacturer.

When I was in Orange County I should have had a (poked N stroked) carbed Winsor in my old 86GT.

I know you can go the other way around, as in like, a computer controlled 5.0 in a 65 Mustang.

Reply to
GILL

"Spike" wrote

It's the opposite here in Colorado. I had an '83 Z/28 that I dropped a SBC400 into out of a '77 Caprice. The engine would have passed emissions under either year, but they refused to even test it since it didn't have the emissions stuff for an '83 in it. Besides the fact that you couldn't get an SBC400 in a Camaro that year. The biggest being the boat anchor 305. I left the MO plates on it until I HAD to renew then I traded the car for something that I knew would pass.

Reply to
Blue Mesteno

I don't think that's correct. I havn't had the misfortune to live in CA for some time now. But I recall that you had to have the emission gear and pass the sniff test for the year or the motor, whichever was newer. A '65 carbed engine in a '95 mustang would not pass.

Reply to
.boB

Like I said, if the law has not been changed. That was the decision DMV made, although I'll admit Mac had a fight through the appeals process before they finally gave in. maybe it helped that he was law enforcement and was able to quote chapter and verse from the California Vehicle Code (CVC). Like a lot of things, it also may be who you talk to... ever tried to get two IRS agents to come up with the same story?

Reply to
Spike

Misfortune? Thanks very much. I'm 4th generation and my daughter is

5th generation, even though she was raised in Ohio by my ex. Perhaps it depends on the year. I know that one of the owners of Mustangs Plus was having a heck of a time getting a Cobra (IIRC) registered because it "didn't meet Calif emission equipment requirements... never mind that the same equipment as California was in all 50 that year.
Reply to
Spike

"Spike" wrote : Misfortune? Thanks very much. I'm 4th generation and my daughter is : 5th generation, even though she was raised in Ohio by my ex. Perhaps : it depends on the year. I know that one of the owners of Mustangs Plus : was having a heck of a time getting a Cobra (IIRC) registered because : it "didn't meet Calif emission equipment requirements... never mind : that the same equipment as California was in all 50 that year. : -- :

When I was there, not solong ago it was: If the vehicle had any smog equipment onit when manufactured, it had to be on teh vehicle and operating properly.

You could put a new engine in an old car, but the car would have to pass the emissions test from the newer engine. This particular regulation snuk up and bit me on the ass once while building a (from the frame up) 69 Chevy PU. We put a little newer engine in it (if I recall it was a 73) and it had to fit the smog requirements. We didnt KNOW it was a newer engine, were told it was a 69 so we built it and by the time it was too late, it was too late.

It pissed me the hell off and I sold the truck to a guy who paid WAY too much money for it. Wish I had it now though, that sumunagun was absolutely beautiful.

Kate

Reply to
KJ.Kate