warranty question

Quick question on warranty's, more specifically transfers of warrantys. I bought a used 04 GT with a hair over 12k on the clock, so it is still under warranty. How exactly does this work when you take it to a dealer? Is it pretty cut and dry, or do they hassle you due to you not being the original owner? The reason I ask is that I have an odd noise that happens from time to time, when I am at a stop. I cannot describe the noise, nor have I narrowed it down, but it sounds like it is coming from the tranny. Thanks for any info.

Brian

Oh yes, and Kate, I found some reasonable insurance. 172/month. Its still high, but almost half of what I was being quoted.

Reply to
dsuperbee

If the car is still under warranty, they have to service it whether you're the orig. owner or not. In my experience, the overall attitude and general "smiliness" of the svc. managers is affected more by whether the car came from their dealership. Others may or may not have found this to be true.

John

Reply to
jmvannoy

I think it depends on the dealership. Our local Ford dealer sends letters to people in the area who buy from other dealers inviting them to use the local shop. I bought a truck from one of their competitors a few years ago and they were happy to handle the repairs.

Blue Gator

Reply to
Blue Gator

warrantys.

Put it this way.. if they give you a hassle over where you bought it, you dont want them servicing it, anyway! And I suggest you dont want to buy there, in the future, either.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Unconsidered angle.... a dealership in a small town does quite well at sales... But just as many customers travel to the city... 2.5 hours away to make their purchase.... The shop at this small dealership is booked up at least 2 weeks in advance and every day is a stress ridden venture to ensure that all jobs are completed and done right...

The customers that purchase from us are doubly valued by the dealership... and each and every one receives the promise of prompt resolution to their concerns... which is one of the reasons they purchased from us in the first place.... We gladly offer those that purchased their vehicles at other stores, the same hig quality work we offer our loyal customers.... they may have to wait a little....

This is not "out of spite"... this is out of a sound business plan.... There is a reward for purchasing locally. It comes in the form of preferential treatment. Our store doesn't depend on volume sales like "major" dealers do... we can't hire the shrewd, big buck salesweasels the big dealers do... we appear to have a higher purchase price (shrewd salespeople can make numbers "dance".... ).

If our shop was "dead"... everyone would get the same. Our shop, however, has some talented techs doing good jobs... and we are inundated.

Reply to
Jim Warman

Glad to hear it! Who did you finally go it with?

If they gave you a good deal, maybe they could save the rest of us some money too!

:-)

Kate

Reply to
Kate

And if that was explained patiently to the customer, I'm pretty sure he'd understand that, too. And figger maybe next time, he'd buy at the dealership that gave such great service.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Actually (and this surprised me too) Progressive had the best deal BY FAR. 100/300 and 500 deductable. I am pretty darn happy with it!

Reply to
dsuperbee

Consumerism, as it relates to the modern era, has no such notions.... According to Ford, "this" is not supposed to happen.... Patiently explaining this to a customer usually nets you a nasty phone conversation with your DOM. These are the folks that firmly believe that they should buy where the price is cheap and get service where service is good (since the "cheap" dealer has crap for a service department)....

In our sales presentation, we offer red carpet treatment as part of the deal.... other dealers will insist that you bring your own vaseline to ease the process of ownership.... As to who is right and who is wrong, I have my own ideas borne of the age and manner in which I was raised... For my part, "I" decide who is on my "preferred customer" list... Preferred customers will always receive preferential treatment... This ain't a fast food burger joint featuring a Big Yachhh for a buck99 - we don't offer a disinterested server taking a "thing" from under a heat lamp that was heated up by someone that needed a job... We offer grade A, prime Alberta beef, cooked to your taste by a chef that lives to cook burgers.... it is served by a caring person who believes that you should be ecstatic over the meal.... this comes in at a "little" over a buck99.

There is no mystery... (if there is, the world is in for a real surprise). Our loyal customers are in search of a gourmet burger.... everyone else just wants something in their mouth but complain because the buck99 burger isn't as good as the gourmet burger....

I do three kinds of work... GOOD, CHEAP and FAST.... pick two - good, cheap work wont be fast.... good, fast work wont be cheap..... cheap fast work wont be good...

Sidebar..... the vast majority of my customers insist on having scheduled visits (and only scheduled visits) to the shop... whether the concern is covered under warranty or not, they insist on having things attended to before they become a concern. In the grand scheme of things, this sometimes costs much less than operating from one breakdown to the next (and we haven't even touched on the inconvenience or frustration angles).

Reply to
Jim Warman

Good to hear it! Thanks!

I had them quote us a few weeks ago, they were substantially higher BUT We are old, we have multiple policies and we are in a whole different area too.

Thanks for teh info :)

Kate

: > Glad to hear it! : > Who did you finally go it with? : >

: > If they gave you a good deal, maybe they could save the rest of us some : > money too! : >

: > :-) : >

: > Kate :

Reply to
Kate

Hey, want me ^^ to Fix that one too?? :oP

Reply to
WindsorFox

WindsorFox wrote: Snip...

I still laugh every time I read that!

Reply to
Blue Gator

: > I had them quote us a few weeks ago, they were substantially higher BUT : > We are old, we have multiple policies and we are in a whole different area : > too. : >

: > Thanks for teh info :) : : Hey, want me ^^ to Fix that one too?? :oP : :

Yes... please.. if you would :)

Reply to
Kate

Then my job here is finished :)

Reply to
Kate

I bought a 2004 mustang with 12k mile also.. I bought the car in Penn and live in NYC. I went to NYC dealer .. and they gave me no problems.. They just take the car and do the service under warranty.

Reply to
duke1234