Warranty coverage question

I strongly believe that I have an exhaust manifold/gasket leak. It is a ticking noise that only occurs while accelerating. It is noisier when it is cold, then gradually quietens down once the engine warms up. I am not sure if it is covered within my warranty. The warranty I have is for powertrain, as well as seals and gaskets. Specifically this section is the one I am not sure about.

"Seals and Gaskets.

The following will be covered: The seals and gaskets used to contain fluids/lubricants within the covered parts including cylinder head gasket(s), crankshaft seals, camshaft seals, valve seals, intake manifold gaskets, timing cover gasket, oil pan gasket, valve cover gasket, and all seals and gaskets used to contain fluids/lubricants in the transmission/transaxle/transfer case/differential.

Includes only those parts listed above, all other parts are not covered."

Exhaust manifold / gasket is not listed, does this mean that it is likely not covered. Anyone have any idea if it might be or not based on what is listed in the warranty agreement ? Is it common for an exhaust manifold gasket to not be covered with all the other gaskets listed ?

Regards, KDawg

Reply to
KDawg

OK I just got my answer. Only the seals and gaskets that are used to contain fluids are covered, that is why the exhaust gasket is not covered.

Having said that, anyone know if replacing the exhaust manifold gasket is an expensive job ?

powertrain,

Reply to
KDawg

Sure its not valve clatter?

Reply to
Paradox

What are the symptoms? How can I tell myself what the problem is ? I had a pathfinder that had chronic exhaust manifold problems, and I know that this sounds very similar. It's a ticking noise while giving it gas. The noise is louder when the engine is cold, then when the engine warms up and expands, the sound is less audible, but still there. WHat cause valve clatter, and how is it fixed ?

Reply to
KDawg

Are you sure the noise is not the famous "piston slap"?

Reply to
Paul

If it is NOT listed, it is NOT covered. It is VERY common to have them excluded. However, if the vehicle has les than 50,000 miles, or 80,000 KM it is covered by the FACTORY warranty, because it is an "emission device" - it is ahead of the catalytic converter. It is federally mandated that emission control systems maintain their integrety for a minimum of 5 years and 50,000 miles.

Reply to
clare

It could possibly be a cracked exhaust manifold,but i have encountered several V-6 Gm cars where the rear exhaust flange gasket (Donut) has worn due to engine flex on acceleration.if this is the problem, motor mounts should be checked.

Reply to
Philip Wagner