Civic Type R v Clio 182

Just watched this on Fifth Gear, The CTR only beat the Clio by 2/10 of a second and you can pick up a new Clio for £5k less than a Type R.

Just had a quote for the Clio £570 fully comp, definately think I fancy one now...

Reply to
Me

Oh and by the way BOTH of them beat the (More powerful) Focus RS (for those who missed the clip)

Reply to
Me

And wasn't the Focus over £20k!?

Reply to
DanTXD

=A319,995

But it's a far better choice than either of the aforementioned.

--=20 Lordy.UK

Reply to
LordyUK

Yes.

But it's a still a Clio.

Which is a bad thing.

--=20 Lordy.UK

Reply to
LordyUK

Yes.

But it's a still a Clio.

Which is a bad thing.

please Quantify that statement (with something better than "its French" please!!!)

Loopy

Reply to
loopy livernose

£19,995

But it's a far better choice than either of the aforementioned.

Reply to
Vamp

In news:d5omrv$6e1$ snipped-for-privacy@newsg4.svr.pol.co.uk, loopy livernose decided to enlighten our sheltered souls with a rant as follows

Quantify or Qualify?

Anyway, Clios all have a bloody awful driving position.

*thinks*

Then again, so does the 911...

-- Pete M

Mercedes 260E, Porsche 911 Carrera 3.2 Ford Capri (ressurection started) VW Golf Clipper Cabriolet

COSOC #5 Scouse Git extraordinaire. Liverpool, Great Britain

Reply to
Pete M

They can't drive.

I've seen an ST220 take a Clio 182 on the straights and twisties...then was outdone by a Focus RS.

Ta, G.

Reply to
G-Man

£19,995

But it's a far better choice than either of the aforementioned.

Reply to
DanTXD

Yea, he's shit that Tiff Needell, they should have got you to do it :-)

An ST220 Mondeo...?

Reply to
DanTXD

Never thought of that.

Yes.

Ta, G.

Reply to
G-Man

Any danger of you learnign how to use a newsreader and quote posts properly?

Any way there are two major reasons the Clio is s**te,

It's French It's a Renault It's a car for girls.

There are three major reasons why the Clio is s**te

It's French It's a Renault It's a car for girls It's Front Wheel Drive.

Among the reasons why the Clio is s**te

It's French It's a Renault It's a car for girls It's Front Wheel Drive It has a wanky sounding engine It looks like crap The interior was designed by Ikea

Reply to
Steve Firth

I thought you were supposed to drive a car because you "like" it, in this case yes i would agree the clio is not as good as a civic, however from a financial point of view the clio is a better option, but the cost of repairs for a clio is far higher in the long run, as it WILL have more problems than the civic, the japs just build better engines. The clio is much more twitchy than the civic which felt to me like it was alot more stable around the bends but it was easily as manouverable than the clio! and it had less torque steer, oh it is ALSO front wheel drive! but the clio is good value for money.. YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR!

Reply to
HAHAHA..Whatevermate

I don't see how ANY of those reasons make it s**te ?

It handles well, it's quick, and it's (very) cheap. It's got masses of standard equipment (including HIDs). It's an excellent buy !

I can't think of a single better hot-hatch for the money ?

I'd rather a Leon Cupra-R or an Astra Coupe Turbo if I were buying a used hot-hatch myself, but both cost a bunch more than the Clio. Civic Type-R is about the best of the lot if you can put up with the terrible engine, but for some stupid reason, aircon is an optional extra - so it may be a struggle to find a used car.

If you've got 20k to spend, then the Astra VXR or the Golf GTi would be the places to put it - but you'd have to have some sort of overpowering brain defect to waste twenty grand on a new shopping cart with a mere ~200bhp and no 4x4. You could pick up a late M5, or a very-nearly-new WRX STi, or a Skyline GTR, or a nearly-new Evo, or any number of HUGELY more capable cars for the same outlay !!!!

Reply to
Nom

Here Here, my money would be on a scooby!

Reply to
HAHAHA..Whatevermate

I've seen an ST220 take a Clio 182 on the straights and twisties...then was outdone by a Focus RS.

Ta, G.

The Clio mustn't have been trying too hard, unless of course it was in excess of 139 mph :)

Mondeo St220 Manufacturer's figures

0-60mph (sec) 7.8 Max speed (mph) 150

Clio 182 Cup Manufacturer's figures 0-60mph (sec) 6.9 Max speed (mph) 139

Reply to
Me

Although hell, it could have been a 1.2 as opposed to a 182!!!

Reply to
Me

Never said anything about cost, I just said it was a much better car.

Agreed, I hate Fords.

But...

...it's a Renault - and that's much worse.

That's debateable.

--=20 Lordy.UK

Reply to
LordyUK

Yes.

And the Clio is a wanky Renault.

The Clio, seeing as the Focus RS is too masculine :)

Reply to
LordyUK