Weather

Gonna be one of "those" years... For here anyway... we had a very wet heavy snowfall with tree branches drooping and shrubbery flattened. . We don't see this on the valley floor very often. Feels like 29 degrees out there. The 'stang is for sure not leaving the garage this night.

Reply to
Spike

A few nights before Thanksgiving it snowed less than 1/4" here and would you believe the city spread "Michigan Fender Solvent" at every intersection in town! *Now* the Mach 1 is in the stable until a decent rain or three following the last application of this stuff next spring!

Time to put the winter project list togethert!

Reply to
John

Dang Spike, it sounds like it IS gonna be a rough winter. So far, here all is well.

KJK

Reply to
KJ.Kate

Less than one week ago, I was working outside in shirtsleeves... at work, the overhead doors were open and the heaters shut off....

As I write this, it is 14F (I did the conversion for you folks) with the projected low at -3F. We usually have our first snow of the year on Hallowe'en... nada, not even a skiff. The few kids we had for Trick Or Treat looked strange since the costumes, chosen to wear over snowsuits, hung baggy on windbreaker clad youngsters.

Some tell me they see wild animals with bushy coats... all the deer, coyotes and foxes I have seen this fall have been much less than shaggy. This is gonna be a weird winter....

Reply to
Jim Warman

Fortunately, they never use that stuff here. Even in the mountains around me, they'll throw down some sand if necessary, but no chems.... one of the few things California liberals got right.... : 0 )

Reply to
Spike

Yep... had a dream the squirrels were rally storing the nuts away.... and woke up in a cold sweat! : 0 )

Reply to
Spike

The mountains around me range up to 14,162 ft so there is plenty of the white stuff up there. I have seen snow storms as late as July close the roads up there.... the same week they got them finally opened through the park. Of course, I have also seen 18 inches of the stuff close the roads in the Mojave Dessert when nothing was moving, and 1 inch close schools in the Florida panhandle.... and 4 feet of the white in Maine and the roads never closed. It's all in where you are as to how prepared they are.

In the high Sierras they do the snow measurements to help figure the water resources for the coming year. Even taking into account the growth of the trees, the marks the old trappers and miners made on the trees are a good 20 feet ABOVE present snow levels.

As for the animals... I think they're just screwing with humans. They get together and figure out how they want to make it look... then they sit around and cut each other's hair. And the squirrels don't gather more nuts... they carry the same one back and forth just to fake people out. Then they hop a passing truck for the south land....

Reply to
Spike

Kate, I witnessed a 1" snowfall in Memphis a couple years ago. If you do get snow, go to the nearest busy intersection, bring popcorn and drinks. :)

-- John C. '03 Cobra Convt.

Reply to
John C.

: > Dang Spike, it sounds like it IS gonna be a rough winter. : > So far, here all is well. : >

: Kate, I witnessed a 1" snowfall in Memphis a couple years ago. If you do get : snow, go to the nearest busy intersection, bring popcorn and drinks. :) : -- : John C. : '03 Cobra Convt.

LMAO John! We were here a couple of years ago. Last year we had an ice storm, the truck was in the shop and the Mustang in the garage. Guess you know we were stranded at home for three days till it thawed. It's one of the main reasons I have the Jeep now.

I'll go watch, it might be a laugh riot. Or I'll get subpoenaed as a witness.

KJK :

Reply to
KJ.Kate

I had the top down on the way home from work this morning, that is really strange for this time of year around here. I live outside of Philadelphia, it doesn't usually snow by now but it's cold at least. I hope for a warm winter. Cobraboy '98 convert

Reply to
Cobra Boy

personally, I'd recommend a tailgate party... bring the portable grill...... better than watching the corn grow in Indiana....: 0 )

Reply to
Spike

Well, it's chilly today, but warmer... and all, except a couple of clumps, snow is gone from this elevation.

Reply to
Spike

On mine, the top is up and in the garage. But it was, indeed, weirdly warm here the past couple of days. I like the cold, too, and so does the 302. This will be TFrog's 13th winter, and we've seen just about all variations. We've had brutally cold stretches, and ultra-mild winters. Personally, I like something in between. Say, "normal".

dwight

Reply to
dwight

I've lived and worked in a lot of places (52 by the time I graduated High School), and it seems everywhere we lived, the locals said it was an unusual year.....

Reply to
Spike

Blame modern meteorology.

Every day, I get today's high and low temperatures, compared to record highs and lows for the day and average highs and lows. Rarely a record, but not normally normal.

Every winter, I get different predictions about precipitation and temperature range. I don't know that any are especially accurate (I'd have to revisit them four months later), but they rarely predict a "normal" winter. I'm not sure we know what a "normal winter" is anymore, with the flood of stats and figures thrown at us. The focus seems to be on distance FROM the norm now, as if we all knew what the golden rule was.

I couldn't really say what a normal winter around Philadelphia is like, but I know that today is not normal.

dwight

Reply to
dwight

Today is one of those which I have seen before.... it looks just like

1) winter in Minnesota or anywhere north of the Mason Dixon line when the bright sun is a glow through the overcast sky 2) any foggy day on the coast anywhere when the sun is trying to burn through 3) Terceira Island in the Azores Island group anytime during the winter in the north Atlantic. 4) etc... LOL

The meteorologists look at what has happened in recorded history and guess what today's weather will be.. then they stick their head out the window and confirm that he should have worn a hat....

The ecologist looks at man's impact on the weather to decide where it's headed, then sticks his head out the window to confirm that the sky is falling... eventually....

The climatologist looks at the weather since the begriming and says, "who knows what the weather will be? We can see it has gone back and forth all the way back. We can see that there were times when it was much warmer than today, and times when it was much cooler; times when it was much wetter, and times when it was much dryer... soooo, we say... the weather is gonna be what the weather is gonna be..."

Reply to
Spike

"Spike" wrote : I've lived and worked in a lot of places (52 by the time I graduated : High School), and it seems everywhere we lived, the locals said it was : an unusual year.....

Boy isn't THAT the truth! Same experience here, it's as if the weather is so different that they don't remember having heat or cold or sun or rain the year before. KJK

Reply to
KJ.Kate

Heh... where I live, in 'Ahia" you can get two different answers on the previous years weather within the same High School conference.

Call it the "Route 40/I 70 Weather line"!

Often, 20 miles north or south gets you a 15 degree differential.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

My daughter lives in Hillsboro... She says much the same thing.

Right now it's raining cats and dogs (I know 'cause I just stepped in a poodle... LOL)... So hard right now that I started building an ark to carry the Mustang, dog, and me for when the sewers back up.... Least it isn't snow.

Reply to
Spike