What shocks for '89 GT convertible?

New to this place (in fact just found it, once I figured out the search option in my reader). We have an '89 5.0 GT convertible with about 78k miles. Handling is getting a little loose and I'm thinking it's probably time to replace the shocks. The car was set up with the Sport handling package from Ford originally, but are there better shocks on the market now for this car?

Also, any ideas on how to reduce the body 'twist' on this car?

Thanks for any help

Bob

Reply to
Bob Landry

As far as the body twist goes, I would definitely get some subframe connectors. Probably the best on the market are the global west full lenght and maximum motorsports full lenght. Once you get yourself a set of those welded in, it will feel like a new car. As far as shocks, I know there are lots of good choices out there but I've always had good luck with KYB gas-ajust shocks and struts. They are cheap but they rode pretty good. Good luck! Erik D. '94 white lightning '01 white GT

Reply to
Erik D.

Bob,

Note: The "sport handling package" is the same under all 5-liter Mustangs.

I would suggest you don't go cheap. I've found it's better to spring for quality shocks like Konis or Bilsteins than it is to buy a lesser brand.

In this order: subframe connectors, strut-tower brace, and a g-load brace. They'll make a huge difference!

Patrick '93 cobra '83 LTD

Reply to
NoOption5L

One or the other (on the suspension pieces) or all three?!?!??

Naw, I get it. I've seen the connectors in a Mustang catalog, wasn't sure how visible they'd be from the outside of the car. We want it to remain looking as stock as possible.

Thanks for the >Bob Landry wrote:

Reply to
Bob Landry

I used the Global West subs on my 88GT convertible, they tuck up nice and tight to the floor pan and can't be seen from the side, I also tried the KYB Gas A Just but found the ride too harsh, so I switched over to the KYB GR2's. Much more comfortable IMO. While your in the process of stiffening your car you should also consider upper strut tower and lower K member braces as well. Since these mods will make your car ride stiffer you should do them before you change out shocks. Who knows, you might be wanting to soften the ride a little by then.

Reply to
ironrod

If your trying to fix the body twist, upper and lower strut tower and subframe connectors fixed mine.

Robert Hooked

87 gt vert
Reply to
Hooked 87