which is the best SuperCharger for the 5-Liter

after rebuilding my engine last year, stock bottom end, added a windage tray, gt-40 heads and intake, e303 cam, full exhaust, gear, and bolt ons. I'm now looking into getting a SC. Somewhere in the 5-9 PSI kits, sub - $3000 range. Live in hot Florida.

Whats the Good/Bad/Ugly you've had with Paxton, Vortech, Pro Charger?

RjA

Reply to
RjA

The Paxton Novi2000 setup makes good power, but it's a PITA to install and it's very bulky. I installed one on a customer's 91GT with Twisted Wedge heads, Trick Flow intake, AFM cam and the extras. He made 490RWHP @ 9:1 air/fuel untuned with the stock 8psi pulley. He sold the car before it was tuned because he made a killing on it. Vortech S-trims are pretty standard. Easy to install and make decent power. ProChargers also make good power but I've heard a lot of complaints about the internal seals leaking. I say go turbo. KJ

Reply to
KJ94GT

If you like the feel of a torquey big block engine then you might want to consider this:

or this:

I have the Blowzilla/Flowzilla comb> after rebuilding my engine last year, stock bottom end, added a windage

Reply to
Michael Johnson, PE

Wow, they look nice, but whats te going price? any hood clearenace problems?

rja

RjA

They die off at pretty low RPMs too. They're good for a street car, but not a racecar. KJ

KJ94GT

With all due respect you really don't know what you're talking about. If he gets the right size blower, the proper manifolds and other supporting modifications for the hp level he plans to make then the power will not fall off. My car pulls hard all the way to my rev limit of 6,000 rpm. Boost doesn't fall off at all in the upper rpm range either. The blower I have on my '89 LX makes 700-800 rwhp on an '03 Cobra and pushes them into the 9's. Here's a couple of links to cars that run pretty decent:

The downside to the Kenne Bell blower on a 5.0L is there isn't an intercooler option. This can be easily remedied through the use of water injection. The Blowzilla/Flowzilla combination on a 5.0L with water injection has made 600+ rwhp and 600+ rwtq and can run deep into the 10's and even the high 9's in the 1/4 mile.

Michael Johnson, PE

Michael Johnson, PE

KJ94GT

Michael Johnson, PE

Misinformation? Hardly. There are 2 types of blowers and each has their own way of operating. I have found very few people who prefer the characteristics of a roots-style or twin-screw over a centrifual. It just sounds to me like you're trying to make yourself feel better about the decision you made. KJ

KJ94GT

I cry every time I'm in third or fourth gear and come out of a corner and using 450 ft-lbs of torque at the wheels to lighten the front end and accelerate out of the turn to 100+ mph effortlessly. BTW, they're really tears of joy. It also makes me very sad to burn the tires up in the first three gears at any rpm. For ME this is what makes MY CAR enjoyable to drive. I know a lot of people with KB blowers on their cars and they all love them. I also know a lot of people with centrifugals that love them too.

If you knew the difference between Root's and tw> Misinformation? Hardly. There are 2 types of blowers and each has their own

Michael Johnson, PE

Add me to that short list.

I sold my '00 GT less than a month after installing a centrifigul. I was unimpressed. The top end was great, bottom end was unchanged. Different strokes, for different folks, I suppose.

After driving a twin-screw equipped Cobra, and feeling what they make *without* having to wind-up, I'm really convinced *that's* the way to go. There will definitely be a twin-screw on the Cobra next spring. __ John C. '03 Cobra Convt.

Reply to
John C.