1988 GT Mustang, what should I do?

ok I have a 1988 GT Mustang that has been sitting in the garage for about a year, it has a worldclass T-5 tranny, king cobra clutch, 3.55 gears.

Now the engine is 150,000 miles old and in bad shape. It burns oil and the fuel injectors are leaking onto the engine. I havent started it in about 7 months due to the battery being dead and the fuel pump Im pretty sure went out on me.

So my question is

1)How much would a new engine installed cost(im in California by the way) 2)Should i get the engine rebuilt?
Reply to
TheBigItaly50

Yup. Time for a rebuild.

Cost is a revelent thing. ALL depends on which way you wish to go with it.

What are your ultimate goals for the car ??

Reply to
Katmandu

Many of the engine building companies in the magazines sell crate motors for less than $2000. I rebuilt mine in my car thinking I was saving money but I ended up not saving any and not getting any better parts. Casey

Reply to
David C. Johnson

My goals if I do decide to fix it up, is get it to about 335-350 horses, drive it around on weekends only. But If i do the engine thing, then im in it for the long haul.

Reply to
TheBigItaly50

I say sell it and get a newer model, but if you keep it go to a salvage yard and you might find what you need for a whole lot less. I suggest if you do find a couple of them put one in now and drive it and build up the other one. No sense in missing all the fun of driving now.

Reply to
Michael Buttry
150,000 miles isn't really that much on a 5.0. I have an 88GT as well (California version) with 225,000 miles on the clock. Injectors do go bad, I know mine did, but they will cost you just a little over $200.00 from Summit. As for the car burning oil, you might see if your heads need to be re-worked. If you pull them yourself it wouldn't cost that much.

Reply to
Ironrod

Have Compression and Leakdown test done on the engine and go from there.

Reply to
Katmandu