Whining noise yet again

Ok... whining noise still there (98 Mustang GT).. but much less often. I think it's something to do w/ the differential for sure now... I changed the fluid BUT I think I was supposed to add some sort of other lubricant... for limited slip differentials. I forgot what it's called.. anybody have any idea? Thanks in advance.

-Mike

Reply to
<memset

blinker fluid!! =-)

Reply to
RioRedGT

lol

Haynes says "4oz Friction modifier fluid"... anybody know where I can get some of this? I didn't see any at O'Reilly.

-Mike

Reply to
<memset

Ford dealer will have it for sure....IIRC, c8az-19b546-a .... be careful, that's coming from memory (having looked at the sides of too many of these bottles while experiencing the enervating aroma of the contents). Two things to be aware of.... some suppliers of gear oil in quarts (or litres) supply oil that is limited slip clutch compatible...... second, the only noise that this additive will cure is clutch chatter when cornering (limited slip clutch.... not transmission kinda clutch).

Does it whine constantly or does it change from drive to float to coastdown?

Jim Warman

Ok will stop by Ford tomorrow morning then & get some. As for the aroma... HA HA ;D. Too funny. The only time it makes a noise is on turns... left turns really more common than on right turns. It whines consistently with rotation, not RPM.. if that makes any sense.. like my wheels spinning.. the faster the wheels spin (or driveshaft, or whatever else that "turns") the faster the noise gets & shorter the noise gets (ERK ERK ERK ERK ERK compared to ERRRRRRK ERRRRRRKK ERRRRRRRRK). Sorry.. I suck at explaining things. Laugh if you must bottles while experiencing the enervating aroma of the contents). Two things

Reply to
<memset

Check out:

Also a good explanation of just what causes this chatter to happen.

John

Reply to
John Birch

Very cool thanks John =) Can't find it on the "online store" though lol.

-Mike

Reply to
<memset

Ok right after hitting "send" i found it.

-Mike

Reply to
<memset

Ford dealership has "plenty of it" for $3.60/4oz bottle. Thanks Jim.. I'll add it today. Also thanks John Birch for that URL =).

-Mike

Reply to
<memset

Welp... got the friction modifier (motorcraft) added.. came directly from the local Ford Dealership... it's still making the noise. Not as loud & not nearly as OFTEN, but it's still there. I'll give it a few days to "work itself in". Hope it fixes itself now.

-Mike

Reply to
<memset

Well... the noise is further "faded" now. It's very close to non-existant. I appreciate all the help, Jim. You've been quite helpful. Thanks a ton everybody who responded.

-Mike

Reply to
<memset