Will it sell?

Joe wrote:

Well, I would prefer a GT500 convertible but I just can't justify the premium they have put on them. I am leaning toward a Mustang GT or maybe one of the specialty Mustangs like a Bullit and then eventually putting a Kenne Bell kit on it. I won't go hog wild with the mods again. The KB kits are complete and well done cost about $4,000-$5,000 which really is a bargain for the power it delivers. A GT with a KB kit delivers performance nearly on par with a stock GT500 and for $15k-$20k less considering the price of GT500 convertibles.

This being said I will look at all the convertibles in the mid $30k to mid $40k range. I'm really not that interested in mega horsepower and just want enough to make it a decent performer, something that can run a low 14, high 13 second 1/4 mile. I will consider other things like handling, build quality, fit and finish, ergonomics etc. Until I drive some cars it is hard to say which way I will go. The Mustang does provide a lot of car for the money though so I think it has the initial edge. Especially considering the after market performance parts it has available.

Reply to
Michael Johnson

"Michael Johnson" wrote in message news:h9udnVYPtKtVzSXanZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com...

I was really impressed with the V6 convertible I rented out in Phoenix. No, not for its power or performance, but purely with the convertible top. Compared to my '93 GT, Ford got it right. And stealing a trick or two from BMW didn't hurt.

dwight

Reply to
dwight

dwight wrote:

I know the SN95 Mustangs had a much better convertible top too. They really don't have a big downside like they used to in that they rarely leak and provide great sound and thermal insulation. One thing I want to check into are some of the hard top convertibles. That is like having your cake and eating it too.

Reply to
Michael Johnson

Mike,

As good as the new Mustang is, can I still say keep your old '89? Yes, I can. You have a sweetheart of a car, Mike... don't let it go. If you're truly on the fence about selling it, read the latest Hemming's Mustang Machines -- it features original owners and the cars they've held on to. Cool stuff.

Patrick

Reply to
NoOption5L

It wasn't an easy decision to put it on ebay. It did not sell so it is still in the garage. Driving the car is like putting on an old pair of blue jeans. If I had it licensed and on the road I probably wouldn't have tried to sell it.

Reply to
Michael Johnson

Correction: Hemming's Muscle Machines.

You'll never get out of it what you put into it or what it's truly worth. You don't know anyone with an ol' garage/barn you can stick it in?

Patrick

Reply to
NoOption5L

I won't buy another Mustang until the fate of the '89 is known. I have been known to change my mind quite often.

Reply to
Michael Johnson

On Fri, 22 Feb 2008 11:21:00 -0500, Michael Johnson wrote something wonderfully witty:

But you didn't try to sell it. You tried to get your money back. It is a labor of love, which has to find a new lover. One day some time some where a guy with a chub & a wad will ask you a question, and you'll give him an answer. On the way home you stifle a little sniffle and look for your next project. So it goes with all of em.

Reply to
The Wolf With the Red Roses

The biggest reason the car may not sell is that it isn't licensed. It is the test drive that will sell it. I can also remove the blower and sell many of the speed parts individually and make as much if not more than my current asking price.

Reply to
Michael Johnson

True, except the person you describe is very picky about the details of the mod. Their "perfect" car will be somewhat different even if they have similar views of what to do to that car. Also, they would want to do it themselves - isn't part of the fun of owning a modified car the trading of stories with other owners? You would not have much fun at a gathering if your answer to every question about the car is "I bought it that way."

bml

The car has to be licensed and road worthy before it will sell, IMO. I'm actually glad it is still in the garage but having a new GT in there wouldn't upset me either. I am going to remove the blower and a few other parts and sell them on ebay or locally. Then get the car running N/A and maybe make another run at selling it. Then again, once it is on the road I may not be able to bring myself to sell it and I will be back on the original plan of installing 351W stroker engine.

Reply to
Michael Johnson