Window Bonding Followup

Pursuant to an inquiry last week about a good way to reattach a '69 side window to its channel, I emailed 3M. Finally got answer:

Dear CJ the Magnificent:

Subject = Automotive Adhesive Application

Message = Our auto discussion group is pondering the existence of a high-strength glass-to-metal glue, in particular one that would bond the side window of a '69 Mustang to its lower rail. This is a common separation point.

Answer:

3M has two products the will bond the side window glass to the lower channel rail. 3M Automix Channel Bonding and Sidelite Adhesive, Part No. 08641 or 3M Structural Adhesive. Both of these products are two-part systems that need to be mixed. They are both fast curing products that need to be used within about 3 minutes after mixing. I would suggest using the 3M Structural Adhesive as it will give a slightly stronger bond.

Also, is there a list of your adhesives and other products that have found common use amongst car builders? Your alpha product list is too extensive to sort through. Thank you for your reply.

If you go on the internet and go to

you can get to the Automotive Aftermarket catalogue and look at the adhesives listed that we sell to the market. After getting into the 3M site click on "United States", then click on "Products and Services" on the top bar. Then look under "Transportation Industry" and click on "Automotive". Then click on "Automotive Aftermarket". On the pull down bar on the right side, click on "Product Catalog" then select "Adhesive, Coating and Sealants". This will break down into the products use in the glass market, truck repair market, Collision shop and mechanical. You should be able to reduce your selection process from these product categories.

I hope this helps you with your selection process. There are multiple products to do most of the applications and they can get to a personal preference.

Kenneth E. Kosel

3M Automotive Aftermarket Division 3M Center Bldg. 250-1-02 St. Paul, MN 55144-1000
Reply to
CobraJet

The strangely human qualities in this post are a sure sign that Cobra Jet has been gravely wounded and is trying to make nice as he backs out the door and heads off to the safety of ahpbbfm. Have a nice trip, CJ!

180 Out
Reply to
one80out

Just showing you how to actually do something positive in here, asswipe. And don't call me human.

Reply to
CobraJet

Hey Rick thanks looking for this info. Take care

Reply to
ledpeddle