300Z TT power transistor unit failed

My 300Z TT recently had a dramatic failure of its power transistor unit. I've been told that repair of this "defect" is reimbursable through Nissan. Do you know if there's any truth to it? Please suggest how (& to whom) I apply for this?

Thanks a lot!- Pham

Reply to
Pham

Yes it was a recall item. Talk to the dealer about this..

Reply to
Steve

Ouch. It wasn't the dealer who did the work, Steve. In fact, I expect the dealer would feel bitter at how little I've had to do with him (I don't like him!) Here I'd be bothering him to help me out- and with no foreseeable benefit to him for this outlay of effort to get reimbursement for me! I can't imagine he'd feel very...motivated.

Isn't there a direct path between Nissan and its customers? Kind of reminds me how the Protestants broke away from the Church!

THanks yet again, Pham

Valid spambot resistant address: n2BywatqsLdOtnEt

-=================================================-

Reply to
Pham

Doesn't matter

It's worth a visit, they can't be nasty just because you've never used them for service. They are used to this anyway.

Yea, the dealer! If that doesn't go well THEN contact nissan directly. I bet they will pay you back for that repair, at least what they would charge for it.

Reply to
Steve

It was a recall, but I doubt they will pay for other peoples work.

Hope you kept the old one, fix it and then you have a spare.

Peter Hill

Peter Hill wrote: "It was a recall, but I doubt they will pay for other peoples work." ===================

Dear Peter, Well, that's a crummy thing for me to hear- why am I not shocked? Thanks for those links, the experience I had must've been typical: sudden and total loss of power after a minute of a few warning lurches at highway speeds on a really hot summer day.

It felt for the world like the engine was being fuel-starved. After pulling over onto a narrow shoulder, I stupidly cranked her enough that the DC power faded way down. Towed to my friendly garage. I waited 2-3 days as the guys tracked down a rebuilt alternator. The labor and alternator were about $350.

BUt the painful part was having the car execute the identical death scene on the identical highway as I tried to drive my freshly-repaired Z home at 8pm. Still light then in summer, but no tow help from my mechanic. He'd gone home by then, of course.

The additional bill for the electronic repair really hurt. I was in no position to argue that the initial alternator "diagnosis" had been an error on their part.

I remember so much detail- I'm sure you can see I've been emotionally scarred. Ouch!

-Pham

--

Reply to
Pham

They paid for injectors that were done by other people during that recall. It's worth looking into. All they can say is no! :-)

Reply to
Steve