BRAKE problems! 1982 280ZX

I need some help on my 82' 280ZX IM having problem with my brakes. the pedal feels hard, as if I didn't have power brakes. even if I push very hard, I still CAN'T brake as it should, I don't think I can even lock the wheels if I sped up fast enough and slammed on the brakes. IM afraid to drive it in real traffic until I figure this out. I thinking it might be the brake booster. I DID check the vacuum and it is strong, I don't have a vacuum gauge, but it still seems Ok to me. the one way valve also appears ok, but IM not sure if enough volume is going through the valve. if I blow through the opposite end, it does close.

yoduro at yahoo.com

Reply to
dm

It doesn't take much volume to make them work. Sounds like a bad booster to me. The test for it is to pump the pedal a dozen times with the engine off to bleed off any vaccum that may be in it, then while pressing the brake start the engine. You should feel the pedal move down slightly when the engine starts if the booster is working.

Reply to
Steve T

steve, thanks!! ill try that today! have a ZX day Dave

Reply to
dm