Z32 Auto tranny problem & A/C

the Automatic transmission does not initially want to engage into (D) drive when first turned on. After a few minutes of warm up (2-5 minutes) it engages into drive just fine. Or, I have to manually shift into 2nd gear to get here going ASAP. Reverse works fine at all times. Any help, guidance, or tips will be greatly appreciated.

Also, Depending on the outside temperature, the A/C slowly chills to about 38 to 55 degrees, then after 30 minutes to 3 hours, it slowly stops cooling. If I let her sit overnight, or for several hours, she starts cooling again. (compressor still turns at all times, and all vents work fine)

X32, 1990, 300ZX, NA, Auto, 2+2, 112k M

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE dm

Reply to
dm

The A/C has several zones that use sensors to measure the temp. These sensors go bad and need replaced. Your A/C will probably go through a cycle of cool, hot, cool, hot as the sensor cycles. Solution: Run the built in A/C diagnostic and see what is going on. You may need to replace an A/C sensor. Check out the FAQ on twinturbo.net

As far as the transmission--they often/usually go bad on Z32's and need replaced or rebuilt.

Brent

91 N/A 2+2 Auto 91K
Reply to
MicroCast

hi brent, thank you for the information!

the 1990 didnt come with built in a/c diagnostics. (as far as i know, this car is to new to me..just got it 3 months ago

Reply to
dm

On the a/c... been long since you've replace the freon?... or maybe it is the compressor.. it may be working.. but not to full capacity.. but mostly likely i'd go with the freon.. it's wat lets your system go cold... the tranny problem.. i'd say it was your torque converter... you're suppose to change the transmission fluid about every 60-70k miles.. but for older cars i'd do it every 50.... if after a full system flush you still have problems it's gonna be the torque converter itself.. it may be warped or cracked... explains the not engaging after warm up... like a manual the gears and the engine need to be synchronized... if they aren't then you're gonna have engagement problems (ie shifters popping out of gear, autos not engaging properly or at a higher rev then normal...)

Reply to
John Nguyen

hi John,

I just bought this Z about 3 Months ago. The car was sitting without any use or starts for about a year, till I saw it and asked about whether they wanted to sell it....I got it for $1,800 (Blue Book is about $3,000 to $5,000) I'm kinddDdddda low on cash now since this was an unexpected purchase, and an offer i could not pass, so I'll have to do the work slowly on her..

anyway, last week I had an AC car mechanic check the freon pressure, according to him it was "OK" Id have to leave it overnight for further tests in order to get an estimate ....(yeah right!)

I'm going to get the tranny fluid changed this weekend. it seems to shift ok up and down as I drive, I dont notice any harsh shifts throughout the stop and go driving.

thank you for your reply! Dave

Reply to
dm

dm,

I had a somewhat similar A/C problem with my '90 model a couple of years ago. Come to find out, there was a line somewhere within the system that had a small hole in it. This was causing refrigerant to leak out. I had this particular line replaced and the refrigerant refilled--and it's been cooling like a meat locker ever since.

Regarding the transmission issue, I'd start with the least expensive repair options first. Change the fluid, then try adding one of the better additives. Most transmission problems can't be fixed out of a can or bottle, that is true. But it can indeed help to some degree in certain cases. Try anything before a complete transmission rebuild or replacement. Transmission repairs and/or replacements for 1990-1996 Z32s aren't cheap--as you are already aware of I'm sure.

S.T.

Reply to
S.T.