02 Sentra GXE - brake cleaning/adjustment?

My fiance has a 2002 Sentra GXE @ 29K miles with some brake problems. The symptoms are:

  • intermittent "klunks" coming from the rear when she brakes

  • a cyclical humming-whooshing when she brakes

No noticeable deterioration in performance.

I noticed a TSB for the drum brakes (Service Bulletin Number: NTB01069A) re: SUBJECT REGARDING CLUNK, RATTLE, OR KNOCKING NOISE FROM REAR BRAKE CALIPER.*JB. But when I took it to the dealership, they said it was due to "needs rear brakes cleaned and adjusted". Speaking with the Service Rep, he mentioned that this cleaning is something they recommend every 7,500 miles. I've owned several cars and have NEVER seen a recommended maintenance of brake cleaning/adjustment every 7,500 miles. Inspection maybe, but not cleaning/adjustment. They were asking for $70 for the service.

My question is has anyone experienced these symptoms? Did the dealership find and fix the problem? If so, what was the problem? Any other thoughts would be appreciative.

VN

Reply to
VN