'02 Sentra recall for engine replacement?

I'm looking at a used Sentra SE-R 2002. The seller claims the engine was replaced 15,000 miles ago under a recall. My searching for a recall on the '02 Nissans doesn't show anything like that. It makes me wonder if I am being misled.

Thoughts?

Thanks, Craig

Reply to
Williams

yes there was, but not specifically for the engine.

If I remember correctly it was for a pre cat issue that if not taken care of quickly, could cause the need to replace the engine. The dealer decided what was needed and would do what was necessary.

2002 only and 2.5 SE-R only. If I recall correctly...
Reply to
Gary

A dealer should be able to look up the VIN and check with the factory for you. If the dealer won't do it, call Nissan directly.

Reply to
still just me

"Gary" wrote in news:DyQzj.5846$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr22.news.prodigy.net:

it was the 2.5L QR-25 engine;the intake butterfly screws loosen and the engine ingests them and trashes the cylinders,and also ingests bits of the catalytic from the exhaust.newer motors get a screen in the intake to catch the screws,and a modified catalytic.("pre-cat";the one right next to the exhaust manifold)

Google is your friend;use it and you'll get lots of info on this.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

still just me wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

this site will tell you;

it's got a lot of good info and data.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

If it's the 2.5 then it's the SE-R Spec V The SE-R had the 2.0

CD

Reply to
codifus

All 2002 SE-R's had 2.5's, The SR20s were dropped after 2001 for the QR25DE as were the 1.6 liter Ga16de in the base Sentras for the 1.8 liter QG18DE engine. And yes the 2002 had a healthy appetite for injesting throttle plate screws, and many engines were replaced due to this problem.

Reply to
LouieG

Thanks to all for the input. This is the SE-R model. I'll check out the

website.

Craig

Reply to
Williams

My bad. Thanks for the correction.

CD

Reply to
codifus

codifus wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@s12g2000prg.googlegroups.com:

the QR25DE also had problems ingesting bits of catalytic converter("pre- cat");it seems that motor leaves the exhaust valve open longer to suck in exhaust as a sort of EGR,and the cat would get damaged under certain throttle conditions and bits would flake off and get ingested,and trash the motor.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

innews: snipped-for-privacy@s12g2000prg.googlegroups.com:

This is the same motor thats the base motor on the altima?

CD

Reply to
codifus

innews: snipped-for-privacy@s12g2000prg.googlegroups.com:

Yes, same as Altima.

Reply to
LouieG

LouieG wrote in news:criAj.16948$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe21.lga:

yes,just Google QR25DE. Wikipedia even has the info on it.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

I bought a 2002 Sentra SE-R. I still own it. It never had a engine recall. like another poster said there was a recall on a part. That if the part was not replaced it could do damadge to the engine. So if the seller of that car replaced the engine, he is not telling you all he knows.

Reply to
Ed

Wrong, I own a 2002 SE-R with a 2.5, not a 2.0

Reply to
Ed

snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Ed) wrote in news:17563-47DD4B41-60@storefull-

3274.bay.webtv.net:

wikipedia has a page on the QR25DE engine,and describes the engine problems and replacements of them.

Jim Yanik