1990 maxima water pump replacement

Should I consider doing this job at home? Local shops want $500.00 - $600.00 to do the job. If I decide to the the job what are the "watch-outs" ?

Thx

Reply to
dsor

You should change your thermostat, timing belt, timing belt tensioner, rad hoses and clamps and all v-belts while you're at it. Also sparkplugs since they'll be out.

It's a fairly involved job. Make sure you have some good instructions beforehand. I tackled this on my 95 Pathfinder (3.0 V6) recently and saved a bundle of cash. But I do have some experience getting my hands greasy. My truck runs like a top now after doing the job. More "watch outs": lots of bolts were seized up - use some penetrating oil beforehand, read instructions carefully and check, recheck and recheck again when changing the timing belt. Pay attention to the bolts from the timing belt cover. There are a few different lengths. Figure on about 6-8 hours to do all I mentioned above if you have instructions and all the right tools. I had to borrow a pulley puller, and I had to buy a 27mm impact socket for the crank sprocket.

Good luck. DS

Reply to
DS

My friend's 92 maxima (same engine as yours) had his timing belt changed for $540. Since the mechaninc was in that region, he also changed the thermostat, hoses, belts etc.

CD

Reply to
codifus

I was wondering if you tackled this and how it turned out. I need to do the same on a '90 maxima, but from the instructions in the Chilton's repair manual are pretty vague.

Any info would be greatly appreciated. -Thanks

Reply to
farkingoo