1994 sentra timing chain tensioner question

My chain tensioner is starting to go, (noise in the morning when starting) can I replace just the bottom tensioner or do I have to do the whole 1000.00 repair that my mechanic reccomeds?

it is the dual ohc 1.6l

thanks in advance

Reply to
{paul

My vote would be to change the whole thing. If you don't, you'll probably being doing it again in a few months. It's a pretty major job which is very labor intensive. The parts are pretty inexpensive, it's the labor that kills you. And, if your mechanic has to go back in again in six months, it's going to be the same big labor cost again.

Reply to
PILKINGTONT

How do you know its the bottom one? Actually, how did you diagnose that its the chain tensioner? The ribbed belts can start making a similar noise when they get old and stiff and the cracks start "zinging" across the pulleys.

If it is just making a noise when you start it cold, you might just need better (or thinner) oil. Try running it on Mobil 1 5w-30 for a while.

I would spend more time diagnosing before doing a major surgery like the lower chain tensioner. At least get a second opinion from a (different) Nissan mechanic. It is going to be a $1,000 job to go after the lower tensioner whether you have the chain itself replaced or not.

Reply to
E. Meyer