1995 Pathfinder in trouble opinions

Driving around all day in 4 wheel, in snowy slippery Rockville Md, I stopped in a parking lot to make a cell phone call. I never turned the motor off, and never took it out of 4 wheel. I put into gear, I wasn't going anywhere, I only revved the motor to 2k RPMs and no go, no reverse, no drive 1,2. I couldn't feel any shifting into gear. Long story short, I have a service station looking at it and they will be calling sometime today with diagnosis. I am hoping for sensor.

What do you think?

Reply to
Justbrilliant

Sounds like the linkage from your shifter to your tranny let go.

Ed

Reply to
E.MacDougall

Difficult situation. 200 miles from home.

AAA tow to service station, since the wheels were locked up, the first tow truck bent the chrome rear bumper. The second flat bed tow truck dumped it in a lot where the service station couldn't find it. ( I lost 2 days on a rental)

The AAA service station (Looper's Rockville, MD) wanted to go to Nissan for a tranny and replace the radiator. $4300 for starters

Aamco wanted $2300 for starters I wound up with Montgomery BCC transmissions in Rockville, MD $2100 for starters

Final analysis, the "Planetary Gears just fell apart" Bill from BCC Montgomery Transmissions Rockville, MD

Bill from BCC Montgomery Transmissions Rockville, MD Parts Labor explanation $299.94 Master Overhaul Kit $240.00 Remove Auto Trans $582.00 Dissassemble Trans $240.00 Install trans $42.93 Filter Kit $87.59 Bushing Kit $355.02 Planetary Gear Kit $189.00 Torque Converter $42.00 Auto Trans Fluid $238.04 Solenoid Group $130.00 External Cooler $12.30 Fluid added to transfer case $75.00 Install External Cooler $37.50 Drain Transfer Case and Refill

$1,174.50 Labor $1,396.82 Parts $71.32 tax

$1,468.14

$2,642.64 Total

I now have the "famed leak in the exhaust manifold" , which I know these guys must have screwed up. My Pathy's vin number is excluded from the recall.

This thing really leaps into second, not very smoothly.

I left not convinced my problem was diagnosed correctly.

I requested to see the old planetary gears, but they where unavailable.

Reply to
Justbrilliant

Ok, I forgot to mention, the '95 Pathy has been paid off since 1999. Liability insurance only. 117k. 72k and lots of rubber left on the Michelin LTXs which I highly recommend. I did the timing belt myself in 1 hour. No rust, and starts everytime.

So I can justify the $2900. I just spent for tranny and rebuild, again, I think it was too much, but I priced 4 shops before I chose them. I am pissed that the shop didn't have my paperwork ready to go when I showed up, after calling them and making arrangements. There were fingerprints and dirt (inexcusable), They never wiped down the fenders, or hood, washed their hands,, etc.

Not to mention the manifold leak now, which I am going to do myself in my own heated garage.

I posted the bill, so the NG has an idea of what is going to happen in this situation.

Reply to
Justbrilliant

They gave me a 12 month warranty. Since they were 200 miles away, I have a list of somewhat local shops to take it to.

It's like having a bullseye in the middle of my back.

Reply to
Justbrilliant

Reply to
JimV