1996 Pathfinder Engine Whine at 1000 rpm

Well if he did it "by the book", I bet it did still make noise! :-) Just because he did it twice, doesn't mean he knows how to do it right. He could do it wrong hundreds of times and it would still be wrong.

Reply to
Steve T

I don't think he did do it by the book. He mentioned something about adjusting it so he could twist it 1/4 turn.

Reply to
Rob Munach

No disrespect intended, as I can tell you are a very capable mechanic, but why would the factory service manual have such a complcated procedure for soemthing that is really *that* simple? It sure would have been easier for them to describe your method. I have talked to a few Nissan dealer techs and they claim they have never used the factory method either. FWIW, the manual for my BMW describes the same method that you use. I used it a few month ago and it was a breeze.

Regards,

Rob

Reply to
Rob Munach

So that's what he meant by twisting it a 1/4.

Reply to
Meat-->Plow

Can this condition cause any permanent damage or is it just an annoyance? I have a similar problem with my '93 Maxima. Timing belt replaced at 80k, about 15k ago and idle speed whine just started.

Reply to
Goodad

Can this condition cause any permanent damage or is it just an annoyance? I have a similar problem with my '93 Maxima. Timing belt replaced at 80k, about 15k ago and idle speed whine just started.

Reply to
Goodad

It could cause premature wear but anyone's guess is the same.

Reply to
Meat-->Plow

If the noise just started, it probably isn't an overtightened belt but more like a failing tensioner bearing and yes, if it comes apart it will cause serious damage.

Reply to
Steve T

Whatever. If it whined when he was done, he did it -wrong-! Posting that this whine is normal is BS information.

Reply to
Steve T

I have no idea, why don't you ask them! :-) I read it and thought "What a bunch of BS"....

Reply to
Steve T