2003 Pathfinder--Fuel Octane suggestion or mandatory?

Can you really use 87 octane fuel like the book kind of suggests, or should one use the 91 octane "suggested for better performance?" How much better performance can one expect?? Thanks
Reply to
Wayne Savoie
I've used 93 (Premineum around here) for my '02 Pathfinder. It's not that much more.
Penny wise, dollar foolish.
Reply to
Matthew
I use primarily 92, occasionally use 89. I notice a big (better) difference with the higher octane. Nissan has been building their V6's to burn the higher octane since they introduced the 95 Maxima.
Reply to
Brad Jones
Which engines should be using the higher octane? I have a 95 PF with the 3.0 V6. I've always used 87. 92 costs quite a bit more here. I can get 94 ethanol blended for the same as the 92. Is it suggested to run higher octane in this engine?
DS
prohibited.
Reply to
DS
So premium in a 3.0 will not yield much improvement in gas mileage or performance?
Reply to
DS
I doubt it. And in some vehicles it might even lower the performance / fuel milage. I had a 1999 Dodge Dakota with a V8 Magnum. The book said 87 octane or adverse performance could occur.
Reply to
Mind Melt
That's news to me. I bought my 99.5 used and didn't have a manual. I downloaded the PDF manual but it's on my PC at work. But, come to think of it, the dood at the gas station asked me why I was using regular when other PF owners used the good stuff. I figured he was talking about the 3.5L owners. I'll have to check this out especially since now that the weather here is in the high 80's I do occasionally notice a little spark rattle when I take off from a stop.
Reply to
Mind Melt
This is not true. The 3.0 Maxima engine is designed for premium beginning in '95. It will run OK on 87 octane but with reduced performance (especially in hot weather) and slightly lower mileage.
Reply to
Jim
No, the the Pathfinder has a cast iron block SOHC V6. The Max has an all aluminum DOHC V6 that's got to be one of the sweetest engines ever built.
Reply to
JimV
So why are both the 95 Max and 95 PF specified to have the VG30E engine? I looked it up.
DS
Reply to
DS
Because where you looked is wrong? The '95 Pathfinder engine is a VG30E and the '95 Maxima engine is a VQ30DE (the "D" is for Double OHC). There is about a 40HP difference between them.
-jim
Reply to
Jim