2003 Pathfinder--Fuel Octane suggestion or mandatory?

Can you really use 87 octane fuel like the book kind of suggests, or should one use the 91 octane "suggested for better performance?" How much better
performance can one expect?? Thanks
intended for a specific individual and purpose, and is protected by law.
I've used 93 (Premineum around here) for my '02 Pathfinder. It's not that much more.
Penny wise, dollar foolish.

should
I use primarily 92, occasionally use 89. I notice a big (better) difference with the higher octane. Nissan has been building their V6's to burn the higher octane since they introduced the 95 Maxima.
--
Brad

'89 XJ... Meet "Nothing Else"
Which engines should be using the higher octane? I have a 95 PF with the 3.0 V6. I've always used 87. 92 costs quite a bit more here. I can get 94 ethanol blended for the same as the 92. Is it suggested to run higher octane in this engine?
DS

better
information
and
this
prohibited.

The 3.5 liter uses premium. The 3.0 and 3.3 use regular, minimum 87.
So premium in a 3.0 will not yield much improvement in gas mileage or performance?

3.0
octane

I doubt it. And in some vehicles it might even lower the performance / fuel milage. I had a 1999 Dodge Dakota with a V8 Magnum. The book said 87 octane or adverse performance could occur.

This is not true. The 3.0 Maxima engine is designed for premium beginning in '95. It will run OK on 87 octane but with reduced performance (especially in hot weather) and slightly lower mileage.
DS wrote:

Is that Maxima motor the same motor used in the 3.0 95 Pathfinder ?

VG30E - same engine as the Maxima.
DS

the
No, the the Pathfinder has a cast iron block SOHC V6. The Max has an all aluminum DOHC V6 that's got to be one of the sweetest engines ever built.
On Wed, 25 Jun 2003 12:21:20 -0400, "Mind Melt"

So why are both the 95 Max and 95 PF specified to have the VG30E engine? I looked it up.
DS

the
Because where you looked is wrong? The '95 Pathfinder engine is a VG30E and the '95 Maxima engine is a VQ30DE (the "D" is for Double OHC). There is about a 40HP difference between them.
-jim

3.0
octane
I thought the 3.3 called for the medium stuff?

That's news to me. I bought my 99.5 used and didn't have a manual. I downloaded the PDF manual but it's on my PC at work. But, come to think of it, the dood at the gas station asked me why I was using regular when other PF owners used the good stuff. I figured he was talking about the 3.5L owners. I'll have to check this out especially since now that the weather here is in the high 80's I do occasionally notice a little spark rattle when I take off from a stop.

When in doubt, follow the manufacturer's recommendation.