88 Nissan Head gasket process help

I'm trying to replace the head gasket in my 88 nissan pickup 4 banger, I used the block of wood on the timing chain just like the shop manual says, but the chain wound up falling and I'm assuming dislodging from the crankshaft, what do I need to do to resolve this? How do I ensure that the engine is back in time correctly?

ANY help would be MUCH appreciated as this is a DD, and I need it back up and running by tomorrow although I know its extremely doubtful but wishful thinkink ;)

Thanks,

Bob

Reply to
Bob

What happens is the piston in the tensioner falls out of it's bore and the only way to get it back in place is to remove the lower timing cover. What I do is shove the handle of a screwdriver down in between the tensioner and the opposite chain rail (the handle of the screw driver all the way down to the crank gear). Then the tensioner can't fall out even if the engine is turned. I never understood the 'block of wood' thing they show in those cheap manuals.

Reply to
Steve T

You need to pull the front timing chain cover, which also means the crank pulley with a 1 1/16" (?) socket. Need new gaskets and permatex. All crank, timing gear, oil pump (tricky alignment), and cam sprocket teeth need to be lined up exactly with chain links. Need a new water pump yet? Great time to do it now since you'll be removing the radiator to get access to work on the front of the engine. Get a Haynes book if you don't have a factory manual. Oh, and good luck driving by tomorrow. Iit's an interference engine which will bend valves if not done right.

-m>I'm trying to replace the head gasket in my 88 nissan pickup 4 banger, I

Reply to
Monte