88 nissan pickup not heating up

I have an 88 nissan pickup 24z engine I have recently moved to colder climates and the truck barely gets off the c mark I have replaced the sending unit, thermostat, rad they all needed done any way and it still is not heating up.aprx 4 years ago I changed the waterpump/fan in it with rebuild unit the fan is on all the time but I belive they are with this type of slip clutch. just at a lower speed then rpms I have resorted to the old cardboard in front of the rad trick to get some heat. Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

Please reply to newsgroup only

Reply to
mike

Did you replace all the parts with the correct ratings ? For example if you put a lower rated thermostat could do that...... It does have fluid right ? You might try a higher rated thermostat in it ...... It is better to run it at designed operating temp.

ALSO are you SURE your gauge is working correctly ? Does it move at all ? Could be a temp sensor or some other electrical problem as well...........

Happy New Years

Michael

Where did you buy the thermostat? Try a dealer one and your problem will go away. The -only- thing that will make an engine run too cold is a thermostat that is opening too soon.

Reply to
Steve

Well I really really really would like to belive all what was written above but my thermostat was replaced by me three times already (I do it with coolent changes) it seems unlikely that all three would be bad and yes they were after market thermo's witht the correct ratings I even put a hotter one in. The guage works the sending unit works I know because in the summer the truck heats up I know there is something unique that is causing this problem. I would love to put in a new oem pump/fan but I really can't justify the cost. This truck has 520,000 km on it. I am hoping someone has seen this specific problem

Reply to
mike

I think you have a bad temperature sender or a electrical problem

Happy New Years

:D

A swing and miss M all have been checked and my original post says that my truck does not heat up not that the guage or anything else is not working. Sending unit has already been replaced. The engine itself does not come up to running temp. I am beginnning to think that the fan is spinning way to fast

But thanks for your input

Mike

Reply to
mike

Well you do mention that your gauge doesnt go beyond C. A electrical problem could cause this appearance of a symptom. If your engine is running any distance at all it WILL produce a lot of heat. The detection of that amount of heat is purely a electrical transaction.

Best

Michael

I have but you won't believe it aftermarket thermostats are junk. Think for a moment, how can anything else cause it to run too cool? The thermostat is suposed to stay CLOSED until the engine warms up. if the coolant isn't moving, how could the fan do anything?

Hey but instead of spending $15 for a good one, buy a $400 fan/pump and clutch and see that it doesn't change anything! Sheeze!

Reply to
Steve

You're way off track. If you remove the fan entirely and drive it down the road it still won't warm up unless you're sitting totally still. The fan only keeps it from overheating when sitting still, the fan/airflow doesn't control the engine temp on a water cooled engine.

Reply to
Steve

It must be using iced tea for fuel then cause if it's running at all the engine WILL always come to operating temp. What YOU want is for heat to be available to you inside sooner. These motors do tend to run on the cool side so it WILL take a "hot" thermostat and maybe even some cardboard to block the rad on those real cold days if you want the heat to be pumping into the cab nice and toasty while on the move.

C>A swing and miss M all have been checked and my original post says that my

Reply to
jazz

After waiting many days (as i live far away from a nissan dealer) I have finally gotten a chance to change my thermostat and bingo imagin that three crappy thermos in a row Mind you I didn't put a nissan one in but got high quality one and right away my truck came up to temperature

Thanks aga>

Reply to
mike